SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

Of bindweed and Roundup

girlndocs
18 years ago

I've never used any synthetic pesticides in my garden, since the day we moved into this house. But I'm being driven to it, I think, by the persistent and massive bindweed problem the whole yard has.

There is no living with it. It smothers my roses completely unless I'm out there rescuing them once a week (and if I don't want to rip off whole branches' worth of rose leaves and flowers, I have to carefully unwind each bindweed tendril individually). It runs along the ground and covers my other flowerbeds and veggie patch. It appears everywhere.

I can't dig it out: as those of you familiar with this weed know, it has root systems that no doubt span several yards. You pull up a 6-foot piece, and it breaks somewhere under the ground and grows back in a flash.

I can't kill it with vinegar or smothering: it's in my flowerbeds.

So I have a bottle of Roundup and a plan, which I found on the Weeds board: install containers of a dilute solution around the garden, gather the tips if still-growing vines and submerge them in the solution,and allow the vines to slowly absorb the low-dosage poison until eventually the whole root system collapses.

But before I make up my mind to do it, I need to knwo I haven't overlooked any alternatives. I don't want to use pesticide if I don't absolutely have to. Has anyone here found an organic way of comtrolling/eliminating bindweed?

And if I *did* use the RU, can it hurt the soil, or the microherd, or birds that eat bugs out of my dirt? What repercussions might there be if I use synthetic pesticide, this once, in my organic garden?

Thanks,

Kristin

Comments (121)