SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthonyjames_gw

2 - 50 x 50 Spots Looking for high yields

anthonyjames
14 years ago

I currenlty work part time for a Family Farm (Petting Zoo), it is a very nice place and has 25 acres that are wide open and currently not using very much of it except for hay/straw.

Well I brought up that it would be nice to sell veggies from the farm to people either at the entrance barn or on the way out. They said sure are you willing to do the work. I said yes will you provide the materials and they said yes. So I have 2 spots that are about 50 x 50 to work with.

I thought about creating 2 ft wide rows that are about 40 ft long for growing and having 3 ft inbetween each row and grow clover or something for ground cover and walking on. I have not done to much gardeningin the past 10 -15 years and looking for high yield stuff and a layout plan and then a few extras for end of year.

I was thinking Tomatoes, Beans, Carrots, Peas, Cukes, Corn a couple dedicated rows or partial sections and maybe some fingerling potatoes for end of year. I would like to add some type of berries and melons and last but not least a few herbs to this as well.

Would anyone out there recommend some layout designs or planting times? I know or remember that you should space out like every two weeks to get product all through they year. I will or plan to trellis the cukes, peas and melons.

They just kind of told me this today and would like to get started plotting out the areas, tilling it up and get the fencing up and would like to start planting within 3 to 4 weeks. May sound like a long time but on my schedule it is like them saying tomorrow.

And one last note if there is any king of companion gardening or flowers that could be added to dress it up I am all for it as I am sure they would be.

Any advice or planning help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)