SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dspero80

100 x 50 large pond maintenance for swimming

dspero80
9 years ago

Hello All,

This is my first post as a member. I'm hoping you can give me some advice. We recently purchased a house that has a large lined pond with quite a few gold/koi fish from the previous owners. They have been able to make it through Michigan winters due to the depth of the pond. It's approximately 100 x 50' and ranges from a sloping shallow end to around 7' on the deep end. We have a fountain in the pond (I will post a picture if I can). We have been swimming on occasion in the pond, but I'm curious as to what you think. Right now, the water is very cloudy with lots of particles from the leaves and such on the bottom. I've been using Muck Away, EcoBoost, and Pond Clear for the past month and a half or so. I also did a heavy (too heavy) treatment of the nature's blue pond dye at the end of last summer. It's still blue. The liner edges are covered in particles that are churned up when you walk in and they are also slippery.

Is it ok to swim in the pond? What would you all recommend I do to keep the pond maintained and in swimming condition? How clear can/should I get the water? Should I drudge the dead leaves and such from the bottom? What do you recommend I use to do so? I'll take any advice as I'm new to this and want to make the pond as beautiful and functional as possible.

Comments (22)