SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crueltyfre

swimming pool to pond?

crueltyfre
12 years ago

My pool pump broke the other week. And, as the pool gets greener and greener, it looks more and more like a pond....which makes me think about just converting it to a pond. It costs $80 a month, year round, for cleaning and chemicals and I don't use the thing year round. Every year something breaks and costs hundreds of dollars. I have that little beta fish pond (which was an old hot tub/spa) and I spend more time gazing into it watching the betas then I do swimming in the pool. The pool already has flagstone edges on two sides, so it has a naturalized look to it. How much harder could it be to convert it than it was to convert that old spa? Plus, it takes up what little sun area I have in my backyard, so I'd have a whole new area to plant! Anyone have any thoughts? ideas? warnings? experiences?

Lori

Comments (25)

• leahrenee1
    12 years ago

I *think* you would still have to maintain some sort of pump or filter though or else you would just have a stagnant pool of gunk.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

It is possible to convert your pool to a more natural kind of swimming pool that doesn't use chlorine, but usually you still need some kind of filtration system. If you're ever in Delray, the Sundy House has a beautiful unchlorinated pool with fish and all, but I doubt it's any cheaper to maintain.

• Related Discussions

RE: roof run-off (into swimming pool/pond)

Q

Comments (4)
    I don't use the pond for swimming. In the summer it's full of frogs and Goldfish. Runoff from the roof doesn't seem to hurt the wildlife. My house has 'comp'. The cabin below has Cedar shakes. Thuja plicata. I have several ponds. Sometimes the kids and friend's dogs swim in the lower pond. It has frogs and fish too. Herons and Kingfishers get some of the Golfish. That's why I don't buy expensive Koi. The cabin is a hangout I built a over twenty years ago. Man cave. ;-) Mike
    ...See More

Pond Liner Question

Q

Comments (1)
    Whatever you do, do not use new pool liner as pond material. A while back I gave a friend several large goldfish. He never mentioned to me that he had just purchased a new "pool" liner to use in his pond. All fish were dead within 24 hours of being placed in the new pond/pool. Some folks use rubber roofing liner which is cheaper than pond liner. You'd have to do a search on roofing liner to see the comments regarding their success. Dig
    ...See More

Retro bottom drain tips

Q

Comments (5)
    You can DIY a retro drain yourself pretty easily. Get a large plastic bowl and cut the rim and about 3/4" off leaving three 1" sections in place. That way when its upside down there is a gap between the bottom of the pond and the edge of the bowl w/ three risers in place. Then cut a hole in the bottom of the bowl and put a 3" ABS shower drain and attach your 4" pipe to that. You can reduce the 4" to 3" and then put in a 3" - 90 deg elbow. Two 3" drains will give you a LOT more flow then two 2" drains. What is the GPH of the pump? I have two 3" BDs and a 3000 GPH pump with very little draw down.
    ...See More

Pond salt

Q

Comments (3)
    you can use solar salt from Lowes. It comes in 50 pound bags. Get the crystal kind, not the pellet kind. But why do you want to salt your pond? Using salt on a regular basis is not a good idea. Salt is a good first line of defense when fish are sick or in the case of some parasites, but not for full-time use.
    ...See More
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Yeah, just checked the Sundy House website and they say:

The natural aspects are well water, open sky, encroaching vegetation and scampering lizards, plants in the water, algae and algae-eating fish, beneficial bacteria in the bottom beds of river-rounded gravel, and piles of limestone boulders for fish hideouts.

The artificial aspects are the concrete structure, ultraviolet water-treatment chambers, water re-circulation pump, heating in the winter

If you follow the links on the page, it gives an idea of how much is involved in getting this to work well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sundy natural pool

• laura1
    12 years ago

Lori, my ex turned his pool into a koi pond. He had this major filter system...he painted the pool black (i think). Later on he raised the bottom up by adding sand. It's a big mess if you ask me. Even if you think you will live there forever there is a chance you won't. Think of the re sale of your house.

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not thinking of doing anything to the pool which would ever prevent it from being a pool again down the road. It currently needs to be remarcited, which I know runs into the $$$$ as well as a new pump. So my thinking is going something like this...paint it black, build a decorative bridge across it, fill it with pond plants, let the wildlife move in, put an external pump with fountainhead in the deep end. Then if I want a pool again, all I'd have to do is pressure wash the paint off before the new marcite went on (which I believe they do anyway) and fix the pump. I could even keep the bridge. So at the moment, I'm not seeing the down side. Granted, maybe when the dad situation ends and I'll start using the pool again, but right now I'm not using it at all and it just seems like a waste of monthly upkeep. Look at these pictures...all were swimming pools, I think it's gorgeous.
    Lori

this was an in ground pool---

here's a pool in a birdcage--

this was an above ground plastic pool-

Here is a link that might be useful: swimming pools to ponds

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Right, but these have at least as much filtration and so on as a chlorinated pool. You're not going to have less mechanical stuff to worry about.

California is a whole lot different than FL in terms of what you need to do to keep it from becoming disgusting.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

But bamboo_rabbit, how many natural ponds just drop three feet or more with no slope? Those shallow marshy areas along the edges do a lot to help keep a natural pond in balance.

• saldut
    12 years ago

Sounds like a great idea and I can just see it there in your back-yard, maybe if the edges were built-up so it had more shallowness, maybe with baskets of sand or stone and aquatic plants growing in them.... might talk to some pool experts, or pond people, I've seen it illustrated in Home magazines and it's very effective.... there was one that depended on the plants and fish to keep it clean, no filter... and it was used for swimming! sally

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

Writersblock,

What matters is the plants. If you have no natural slope you just have to use plants that will be fine in 3 feet of water like water lilies. The plants will pull the nutrients from the water and prevent the water from turning green. The plants also shade the water helping to control the light that hits the water.

Many people that build ponds and use liners build them with vertical sides as it helps to protect the koi or other fish from predators such as raccoon's and herons. As long as the balance between plants and fish is maintained the water will stay clear.

• akaj9
    12 years ago

(You do not need mechanical filtration for the pool any more than a natural pond needs a pump and filter.) Turning a pool into a pond will be a bigger project than just adding some fish and plants..... First of all...it is VERY different than any pond you see along the side of the road, since ALL natural ponds are constantly renewing themselves....water flows through and OUT the ground and rain and run off replenishes it with fresh water...what you are talking about is an enclosed circuit of water....VERY different than a natural pond....and with fish (especially KOI or Goldies)...with no filteration the ammonia content will grow quickly, thus the Nitrites and then the fish will die...not to mention all the plant matter that decays, causing more problems with DOCs and such....A FISH pond is a very balanced system, requiring a 20% water change each week with Heavy filtation...and with no filtration in a 6 foot pool...after a year you will have a disgusting layer of silt/muck on the bottom, which will be anerobic, if turned up will cause a mess, not to mention a fish kill...and a horrible smell...have you ever dug deep in swampy mud...that is the smell..... It CAN be done correctly...with even more extensive equiptment and filtration than your pool takes...a good place to check is a Koi forum site...try a search........I have a filtered pond with Koi, and also a swimming pool...a pool is easier upkeep and cheaper equiptment (a pond pump needs to be run 24/7 so it is more energy efficient, but costs more)....But if you can swing it.....The Koi pond done correctly should be beautiful, clean, clean...and CLEAR...and I would certainly swim with them with a mask on.....!!!!!!!!! Good luck... The ones in the pictures are beautiful...I'm sure they are filtered and maintained extensively

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

Aka,

If a pond flows out the "ground" it would not be a pond for long. I believe you are confused over a pond and a fish pond. A pond that is managed as a pond (water and plant centered) needs no filtration and no water changes except those to replace evaporation. A pond managed as a fish pond with a biological load many times above it's balance point would need filtration and water changes on a regular basis to remain healthy.

As long as the pool is managed as a water garden...plant centered with just a very small fish load to control insects it needs no filtration, no water changes. I have had liner ponds from 50 gallons through thousands of gallons and never once did I have a filter on them...they all stayed clear and clean.

• akaj9
    12 years ago

I am not mistaken, a Natural pond is always renewing itself, through evaporation and ground exchange....or flow through to another body of water...don't think for a minute retention ponds aren't managed..."The global water cycle can be described with nine major physical processes which form a continuum of water movement. Complex pathways include the passage of water from the gaseous envelope around the planet called the atmosphere, through the bodies of water on the surface of earth such as the oceans, glaciers and lakes, and at the same time (or more slowly) passing through the soil and rock layers underground. Later, the water is returned to the atmosphere. A fundamental characteristic of the hydrologic cycle is that it has no beginning and it has no end. It can be studied by starting at any of the following processes: evaporation, condensation, precipitation, interception, infiltration, percolation, transpiration, runoff, and storage." I'm not saying it can't be done...but with a fish load and sunlight it will be difficult....It is much more difficult in "most" cases than what you leading to believe. A swimming pool can be 6-8 foot deep, that alone with no aeration, or filtration will cause a anearobic layer on the bottom, which can and probably will "turn over" at anytime, causing a huge fish kill completely unexpected. We are not talking about a 500 gallon or a few thousand gallons here...most inground pools are in the neighborhood of 20,000 gallons....Your advise may cause this person to get into a situation that isn't nearly as easy as you have said...and thus a large financial loss in the long run. Again, I'm not saying it can't be done...but it should be done correctly...If it is going to be attempted

Here is a link that might be useful: What is and what happens in turn over

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You two have given me a lot to think about. I have two pond companies coming Thursday to look it over and see what the options/expenses will be. I'll let you know what the experts say.

If I do this, I don't intend on making it a fish pond and buying koi or any other fish. I do have about a dozen beta's in the small pond that I'd transfer over just to give them more room, but a dozen betas in a swimming pool couldn't possible do much harm. (of course, I only started with 4 so they do breed, but still...).

And I know muck does accumulate. I have to muck out the small pond yearly. I'm sure the pond companies offer mucking out services for something this big. But the cost of this will be looked at as well.

And in my small pond, I put concrete blocks and such in it to hold plants up to the correct level, I'm sure that can be done in a pool as well. Plus, if I decided I hate it, I can then take the blocks out and make it a pool again.
    Lori

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

Aka,

You are still talking about a FISH POND. Please tell me how we will have, to use your words " a huge fish kill" if the pond is a water garden with a few bettas or mosquito fish in it to control insects? Will the fish spontaneously appear just to die in your "huge fish kill" gloom and doom example? Like I said before you are confusing a pond managed for FISH with a pond managed for PLANTS. The fact you keep going back to the fish shows you do not understand.

• wanna_run_faster
    12 years ago

Hi Lori,

I definitely like the look of those pools to ponds! I guess, even if the pond ends up costing money to maintain, it will be different than paying to maintain a pool that doesn't give you any pleasure.

I saw one at someone's house where he had built an island in the middle of the pool and had the edges slope down. He obviously had no intention of ever turning it back into a swimming pool. He had bromeliads, orchids and adendiums planted on the island in addition to all the water's edge plantings. It was pretty impressive!

As far as resale, I don't even know if that's an issue for you. If you're planning on staying in the house for quite a while, I say do what makes you happy! When it is time to sell, I'm sure someone will love the pond as much as you! If not, they can always fill it in. My next door neighbor didn't want the expense of a pool but liked the house so he just filled it in! I couldn't understand why he didn't just buy a house without a pool but to each his own. And wasn't it Tony on this forum who filled in his pool to make more room for tomatoes?

Let us know what the pond contractors say!!!

• akaj9
    12 years ago

Not really...but okay...There was a mention of "wildlife" moving in...so I assumed living frogs, tadpoles, possible turtles and such would add to the balance? I just disasembled my "water garden" just 500 gallons with Only potted Cannas, and blue eyed grass (NO FISH), no soil just gravel and lava rock, and filtered... The water was very Clear...no algae except the carpet on the sides....but there was at least 4" of silt in the bottom after just 1 year....I can't imagine what a full size pool would have in it after 5 years or so, as I assume the plan isn't to drain and clean yearly, but that is my assumption.. I have been known to be wrong before...so looking forward to see how it turns out! Personally...I love my ponds way more than the swimming pool...so I'm supportive of the change over...Sorry if I ruffled any feathers...I for one just like to collect all data out there good and bad before I dive into something...Just helps to prepare me for worse case scenarios..I hope it turns out just as you like...I have not met anyone yet that hasn't given into the urge to get bigger fish..when they get a bigger pond :) Just usually the natural course of things, feeding the fish is so much of the enjoyment..and It sounded like you already got a bit of the bug..with the betta pond.....My suggestion is to gather lots of information...then do whatever makes you happy....again...sorry Rabbit if we disagree..I'll bail out and watch from afar...One more mention though...If you do it and go with a "diff. fish" I suggest a few Ciclids...they are beautiful and aggresive eaters....so even with a few they will be fun to watch eat!!!!!! The lagoon at Animal kingdom has them....wow spectacular! Blue, yellows...just gorgeous...sorry there I go again talking about fish...they are my passion...can't help myself! Good luck!

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

Aka,

No ruffled feathers, we were just talking about two different eco systems. People put a few fish in a closed pond and all is well but then want more and they grow larger and all of a sudden the water is gross, the fish are dead and they wonder why. Yes silt will build up in time...leaves fall from the plants and leaves enter from trees. Even in a caged pool junk gets in the water that fits through the cage screen. On the plus side if the pool has a deep end most of the organics will settle in that end and could be vacuumed out every couple of years.

I agree that African type cichlids would be nice in the pond . A small pond with water lilies all in bloom is gorgeous and a plant pond is so much easier to manage than a fish pond though the plants lack the personality of the Koi.

• User
    12 years ago

this is one interesting post....thanks....learned alot. keep it going.....pond or lake in our future maybe...

• akaj9
    12 years ago

Rabbit!!!..glad we agreed on something ;) ...friends?
    Lori...please post lots of pictures so we can watch!!! lookin forward to updates!

janine

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

Aka,

lol of course:)

• saldut
    12 years ago

My son is into fish, he has several 55-60 gal.tanks, and his friend has a turtle-pond in his back-yard.. the whole back-yard.. a big back-yard.. lauded by Fish & Wildlife and was written up in the Times w/pictures.... and is researching the balance for ponds using no filtration and how to keep them clean etc. organically... So guess this thing abt.'all bio-degradable and organic' is going viral so many people are interested in 'all natural'.. what a nice trend ! sally

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

There is a MG in my neck of the woods who did a pool to pond a while back. As I think I recall, she has floating plants covering the majority of the pond. I think too you might need an bog area for the water to filter through. Maybe use your spa? At any rate, you can probably contact her for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool to Pond - Seminole County

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Thanks for that link, gardengimp. The idea of plant shelves is really interesting, and there are some absolutely gorgeous ponds in her links.

• misplacedwings
    9 years ago

I live in South Florida and I have a 15x30 inground concrete pool with a jacuzzi. deep end is about 5 1/2'. After so many years of taking care of it...I am tired of doing so.....Thought about filling it in but then it occurred to me.why not transform it to a "pond"...well..I have read many comments and somehow i am over whelmed by it all.. The filtration system is still in working order and I do somewhat of a "water fall" coming from the jacuzzi. so other than letting the water turn to all shades of green, what else must I do....?