SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jclimber

need pump/liner advice for large 5000 gal pond

jclimber
13 years ago

Hi folks! I've dug out my pond and am ready to order supplies. The pond is roughly 21' long x 13' wide x 3.3' deep. It's sort kidney shaped so 1/2 the pond is only about 8-10' wide. There are two large limestone rocks that are too big to remove so I'm going to run the liner over them (one is 6'x3'x1' the other is about 2'x3'x2', both abut the border on one side of rock). I've smoothed out all the sharp points on the rocks. I've calculated that I need a 30' long by 25' liner and the pond is about 5200 gallons in volume. Probably a bit less than that due to lost volume from the two big rocks and the fact that the pond sides are sloped a bit (though no shelves).

Liner: to add some margin for the liner going up and over one of the rocks (lengthwise) I'm going to get a 35' x 25' liner. This is about $370 from justliners.com for a Firestone 45 mil Pondgard EPDM liner (not including shipping).

Underlay: looks like best stuff is a non-woven geotextile 60 mil. I can get two 15' x 25' sheets for about $200 from pondandgardenwholesalers.com (including shipping).

Might get an extra 8' x 10' or so liner/underlay for extra padding on the two rocks. Would an extra 1 or 2 inches of sand be helpful on the pond bottom? My soil is mostly clay (very surprising that I found these two big rocks).

Pump/Filter:

I've heard good things about Pondmaster and Savio pumps. Seems like mag-drive is best for ponds to not have to worry about oil leaking. The pond depth is about 35" to 40". Deepest part of pond is at one end, in widest section of pond. However that end is also where I want to put the waterfall (maybe 5'-6' of total head from bottom to top of waterfall). Is it bad to have the pump and waterfall at the same end? Would enough water from opposite end of pond get sucked into pump for good pond flow? I plan the pump to be a submersible so it can sit on the bottom (and thus be quiet).

Pump size: I've read that I need 0.5 to 1x the volume of pond to go thru the pump in 1 hour. That would mean I'd need a pump 2600 to 5200 gph, which is a pretty big range. Is 2600 sufficient and more would just get me more volume over the waterfall?

Filter: I saw a pond recently that had a Savio skimmer filter/pump feeding a Savio waterfall filter and waterfall weir (sp?). The guy said that setup would cost about 2 grand. It looked like the skimmer was built right into the raised pond. My pond top is level with the ground so I don't know how that skimmer thing would work unless I dug a notch in the border for it to sit (maybe I'm picturing it wrong). Or maybe the skimmer goes inside the pond but somehow elevated so the top is level with the pond top?

A friend of mine said a filter using foam type media coiled in a bucket thing would work, that seems less complicated than a skimmer.

Waterfall - build up with cinder blocks then cover up with dirt/rocks/pondliner? Is there a better way? Pre-formed waterfall?

Pond is about 15 to 20 feet away from my main breaker box so I figure I'll have an electrician come in and run wire out to the pond for two GFCI outlets. But before I do that I need to figure out which end of the pond the pump is going to go (breaker box is closer to waterfall side). I was really hoping to do solar (lots of sun in TX) but having the pump on all the time means I would need batteries and that complicates the system. Might just add enough solar panels on my roof hooked into the house supply to cover the pond usage, that would accomplish the same thing.

Thanks for any all replies to any of my questions! I'll try to post a pic of the pond hole as it looks now.

Comments (10)