SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_g

Revamping pond and need advice please

jeff_g
16 years ago

Hello everyone, thanks for all the great information in this forum...truly beneficial to a new ponder like me! I've been pouring over the posts all day...and reading lots of different literature and vendor descriptions over the last several weeks.

I'm locked in mortal combat with a green water pond/algae hatchery... and am resorting to total rebuild. Let me explain...

The Setting: inherited (house purchase) a lined-pond, aprox. 8'x11'x1.5', retangular, "waterfall" on one corner feed by a garden hose extending back to sump pump in a rubbermaid box encapsulating a mat filter and bioballs. No BD, skimmer, etc. This feastering wound sets immediately adjacent to the concrete patio along the long axis. To each side approx. 6 feet in both directions are two trees (one maple, one sweet gum...yeah sucks to be me). I cannot take out the trees, and can only go approximately 5 feet farther into my yard opposite the patio...so I have space constraints...and will have constant organic matter being shed from the trees into the pond.

The rebuilt pond won't change in size horizontally, but I'm going to deepen it to at least 2' in the deepest portion. Sloping sides to funnel the muck. No koi..only a 5-8 goldfish (small now) and plants (floaters and marginal).

What I'm planning to do (unless I get buried in "I wouldn't if I were you.."is:

1)Install a skimmerfilter (Savio)..maybe with UV

2)Install Biofalls (Savio)

3)Install BD (Tetra 3"?)that will go to buried 55-gal drum (grav. feed)

4)Install external pump (the artesian 1/4 or 1/3 hp looks like a proven winner?)

5) Will rock the vertical faces..debating putting cobbles in cement matrix in the bottom areas. My wife hates seeing liner...and currently we don't even have a coping shelf.

6) Get a second job to pay for this hobby...

Questions:

1) It looks like from what I read here that I can plumb (2" PVC both) the SC and skimmer to the pump and discharge from the pump to the biofalls (the Savio F100 spec'd at 5,000 gph)...is this ok? Planning on using the external pump kit for the skimmer hook up.

2) Appears that 55-gal SC is small..so it may be turned into a mechanical filter from the start??? I just don't have room for a SC "pond"

3) The BD installation is scaring the heck out of me...lots of schematic conversation but no good schematic diagram detailing exactly where to place valves and other necessary but small components. Can anybody point me in the direction of an excellent description/schematic??? I've been going all over the net today.

4) I think maybe all these mechanisms combined might be overkill for a small/medium non-koi pond such as this...but, man I've got alot of organic matter influx from above...what do you think? Should I fill the thing in a plant an herb garden :-)?

Sorry this is so long...future questions will be more narrowly focused. Thanks for any guidance/advice/opinions.

jeff

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH