SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bill_connelly4192272

Revamping existing pond. Bog Filter to feed waterfall? Questions...

BillConn
9 years ago

Hi all,

I was looking at doing a bit of an overhaul to our existing 2-pond waterfall setup. The liner in the lower pond has recently sprung a leak so I figured the liner replacement would also be a good time to make some possible upgrades.

The pond currently utilized a 1800gpm Pondmaster MagDrive pump with nothing more than a simple pre-filter screen. (http://www.pondmasterstore.com/home/pm1/page_16_15/mag_drive_18_1800_gph.html)

This pump simply sits submerged in the lower pond and pumps water via 1 -1/4" flexible tubing into the upper pond... where is pours down the two-tiered waterfall back into the lower pond. The two ponds are about 1200 gallons combined... so not super big.

There is no other filtration equipment in the pond other than the plant life and some large rocks and what-not in the bottom of each pond. Overall the ecosystem seems reasonably balanced. it is sustaining life for 8-12 gold fish about 2" to 5" in length. When we moved into the house about a year ago, we only had 2 or 3 fish. The pond is also home to a couple toad and various plants. We do not feed the fish.. they fend for themselves and seem to be doing fine.

That said, we have quite a few trees and the falling leaves in the fall create a pretty big mess. The water is also quite murky and the bottom of the pond has quite a bit of detritus on it. I was considering converting the upper pond into more of a functional bog filter and adding a skimmer in the lower pond to house the pump and skim off the leaves and what-have-you. My big questions are regarding the bog filter....

Is it really as simple is creating a pvc water distribution pipe (a bunch of slits or orifices in a length or two of pvc and plumbing this into the bottom of the pond) connected to the discharge of the skimmer pump located in the lower pond? Then add a nice hefty layer of pea gravel on top of that pipe and over the entire bottom of pond... plant a nice selection of lovely aquatic filtering plants, and then top up with water? I'd like to have the water line (before it spills over the waterfall edge) to be 4-6" or more above the top of the gravel filtration media. Is this possible? I seem to have read something different online. Overall current depth of the upper pond is about 2-2.5ft deep. If I am way off base on how to make a bog filter work, please let me know!.

Any other advice on upgrades I could make to keep this pond functioning well with little maintenance?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus