SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
computerklutz

Putting in a small pond, have lots of questions...please!

computerklutz
16 years ago

Hi all, I have been reading this board for over 2 years. I have learned so much from all of you, but I never thought I would be able to have a pond of my own, so I did not file the information like I should have. I have watched and read as many of you have built the most lovely of ponds and water features, both large and small.

So long story short, my dh has MS and has been really feeling having a bad spell the last few months. He always says he wanted a pond, but $$$ and the fact that he has very limited energy to do much work it didn't happen. I want to do the pond to help him have a spot to relax and be happy. Here in DFW we have had so much rain the past few months the soil is nice and moist. We had been in a drought for several years. Since the soil is moist, I have been digging a pond by myself, off on on for the past few weeks, when I have a few hours in the evening.

I am planning on a small 7 x 7 pond with about a small off shoot of 4 feet by 2 feet for a small stream off it.

I have it dug but I'm wondering how deep to go? I have it at 1 1/2 feet. I know this is tooo shallow! Now I know I am not going to have Koi (which I adore) because I see Herons in my neighbors yards on a daily basis and I don't want to feed them Koi. So I have decided to just plants and maybe some tiny cheap fish to keep the mosquitos down. I want to have a way to protect the cheap fish if I have them, otherwise I'm fine with no fish.

Here is what I think I have gleaned so far:

I am going to buy EPDM liner as I'm in hot Texas and don't want a PVC one that starts cracking.

I believe my pond will be approximately 800 gallons. What size pump should I use? How deep do I need for just plants?

I will be installing all this myself, so it is going to take me awhile.

If you have advice on pump brand/size I would appreciate it. I would like to buy online if possible, so who is good to buy from online.

So any other advice is appreciated. I started out wanting a Koi pond, but I'm not strong enough to dig it 4 feet and second of all the 3 neighbor Herons would eat the Koi anyway. How deep for plants?

Much appreciation for you guys to help me build this for my dh...

thanks a bunch

Computerklutz

Comments (8)