SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schroeac_gw

50/50 lawn and weeds

schroeac
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

In November, my boyfriend and I moved into our first home, purchasing it in a short-sale--we were getting a great house for the money, but one of the catches was that the yard has been extremely neglected for what we guess was several years-- we're talking they didn't even mow. So, as a result, when we bought the house just mowing through the 6-12 inches of lawn and removing some trees and bushes before it started snowing was an accomplishment, but as a result our yard is completely overrun with weeds. My guess is that it's probably a 50/50 split between grass and weeds in its current condition, but because there hasn't been much rain in our area the weeds are doing much better than the grass.

We have taken some actions, but I think we were a combination of ignorantly hopeful, and plain ignorant about lawn care. In the spring, I did dig up two wheelbarrows worth of dandelions and during the process I noticed grubs in the soil. So we put down grub killer in May, and we also filled in some patches of dirt where we had removed some trees. However, I think we used cheep grass and it is not the same breed as what we currently have, its a much more yellow-green, and regardless based on reading other posts, I think we've over-watered, because we have crab grass growing in in many of these areas now, but crab grass is accompanied by many other unwanted friends in our lawn. Additionally, I think I made the mistake of weed and feeding when it was too hot, I did it a few weeks ago when it was in the 70's, but it was late June.

I've attached a picture that sums things up pretty well, and I can attach a few more in later posts. You can tell the crab grass and other weeds from the rest by the color changes in the picture.

So like so many people on here, I am looking for advice on where to go from here. My man is being an optimist and seeing how far we've come with the yard, and to his credit we have made significant strides, but I really just want to fix things so our yard can look much better next year.

So my specific questions are:
-Do I take action now or wait until the fall? And when I do take action what do I do?

-Should I spot kill certain areas or will they die naturally in the fall? (I read about spot killing and watering to germinate more weeds, and then killing those too, before reseeding, is this a good idea?)

-What counts as "fall" in an area like Connecticut? Late September, or late October, or even November if the snow holds off?

Additionally, I watched some "This Old House" videos on redoing the yard today, and Roger recommended a slit seeder, but I read on here that that is not realistic to rent in most areas.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long list of woes! Addressing any one of my several concerns will be VERY much appreciated!

Comments (9)