SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoorayfororganic

Lets talk about coco coir

hoorayfororganic
17 years ago

I'm using this for the first time, just for kicks

Right now I have 2 mixtures - 1 is pure coco coir, the other is 50/50 mix of coco coir and soil

What I notice so far is:

The 100% coco coir dries faster

Both mixtures have a very great amount of drainage

Both mixtures seem to dry out a little faster than I would like and hold a little less water than a 100% soil mix (standard potting soil from a store)

Things I've read on coco coir:

Certain ions can be abosrbed in coir until the coir is saturated with those ions, so at first, this potting medium can actually suck up ions and make them not available to the plant, and the coir will continue to suck them up until it is saturated.

Physical attributes of Coco coir varies greatly depending on where it comes from

Coco coir gives great drainage on average and has a large amount of porosity making it easy for roots to penetrate and spread

Coco coir can hold something like 8x its own weight,so it can hold moisture well, but not as well as peat moss

I'm just bored so I figured I'd start this thread, and hopefully it will start a nice conversation on this medium, if anyone has experience with it. I'm hoping to compare my 2 different mixes and see what happens along the way. I have corn, eggplant, garlic chive seeds in both mixes right now.

To me it seems like this medium should be mixed with soil or other mediums, rather than just alone as itself, although people seem to say you can grow things in just coco coir. But how well those things will grow is another story.

Comments (21)