SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mn_voyageur

Planning to plant: Cover crops, flail mower, weed control

mn_voyageur
14 years ago

My wife and I are planning our garden. Last year was our first attempt at organic gardening. I have lots of questions about what we did wrong last year, but would like to start this year with a little more thought.

Last fall I left everything in the garden. My thoughts were, "Let nature take it's course." Good or bad, it was done. Everything was left standing. This spring, I planned to run my flail mower over the entire garden.

So, my first question is: When to do this?

Last year we planted a little of everything: corn, beans, beets, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash (yellow and zucchini), and sweet potatoes (yellow and white). I expect that we will plant similar vegetables, but with some changes.

I am considering planting early using low hoop houses. Anyone have any experience in this? (I am also considering high hoop houses in the fall for our tomatoes.)

What can I start early in low hoop houses? (or cold frames) How early may I begin?

I have read about planting cover crops before transplanting. I could see this for things that are started, but for carrots, I would think this would not work. Any suggestions on weed control for the carrots and beets?

So, initially, do I run my flail mower over the garden and plant my cover crops? I planned on running my tiller at a shallow depth, but would like to know if I may incorporate fresh horse manure when turning the garden over.

Thanks,

Mark

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting