SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenjo26

Organic/Pesticide-Free Regulations

gardenjo26
17 years ago

I had an interesting discussion yesterday with our ag inspector at the greenhouse I run. Upon inspection, she noticed we had bleach and vinegar for cleaning purposes. We use the bleach as a diluted solution to spray the seeding trays I use after we wash them with soap. The bleach solution dries for 1 week, and we rinse the tray prior to the next seeding.

I have thin emitter hoses that get clogged once in a while and build up too much of a calcium deposit. So I soak these hoses in a diluted vinegar solution to take off the calcium and flush material out (some of that material just happens to be filamentous bacteria, but I am not out to kill the bacteria...my goal is to clear obstructions). We then thoroughly rinse the hoses and allow them to dry before they are cycled back in to the grow tables.

Apparently, the use of bleach and of vinegar is considered a pesticide, even on our supplies...and we can't be considered pesticide-free or organic. Has anyone ever heard of such drastic measures?

It just makes no sense that we can't sterilize our supplies when necessary...to avoid harmful bacteria from potentially entering a crop (like e-coli) and to keep viruses from spreading and wiping it out. We don't spray anything on our crop, we use organic IPM practices! As organic gardeners that sell your crop, what do YOU use to keep things safe and clean? I mean, we also have to comply with food safety regulations with the FDA in terms of cleanliness during production, and it would be completely foolish to have something like molds or botrytis infection being spread because you couldn't sterilize the clippers you use. So what can I do?

Also, I am hoping to find a few of you out there that can direct me to some links via the internet that outline these principles...because I can't find them. In my opinion, it should be easily accessible, but that is beside the point.

I should note that this was stated as a California issue by the inspector.

Thank you for any input you may have, folks.

Comments (11)