SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenjo26

Pesticide Free and Organic?

gardenjo26
18 years ago

Hello all!

I like to fight aphids with a dilute solution of ivory soap and neem oil on all of my plants when infestation warrants. However, I have contemplated selling some of my product locally through neighbors and maybe at a farmers market. I have seen postings on "organic" and "natural" methods that involve this type of pest management, but isn't it still a "pesticide" no matter how safe the ingredients would be for us?

The FDA says that "The term "pesticide" means (1) any substance or mixture of substances intended for preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest, (2) any substance or mixture of substances intended for use as a plant regulator, defoliant, or desiccant, and(3) any nitrogen stabilizer, except that the term "pesticide" shall

not include any article that is a "new animal drug" within the meaning of section 321(w) (!1) of title 21. The term "pesticide" does not include liquid chemical sterilant products (including any sterilant or subordinate disinfectant claims on such products) for use on a critical or semi-critical device, as defined in section 321 of title 21."

I wanted to make a label for my product if it ends up at a farmer's market, but I don't want to call it "organic" or "pesticide free" if I am using them. How do you interpret this, guys?

Comments (6)