SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibuzzard

Soft Fruits(Berries!) Advice Needed

ibuzzard
12 years ago

Having been an organic vegetable gardener for some time,I want to branch out into growing berries.I have a very small area,about 12 X 25 feet,with full sun, that will be fenced-in and caged.We have deer, raccoons,and birds to contend with.Honestly,the berries will be for my wife's pleasure,but I will be their keeper.

1)What may I do right now,even before my fencing is completed,to prepare the ground for the raspberries,strawberries,and blueberries that she loves?

2)Are their soil requirements similar?I have an ample supply of horse manure available for the taking,but in this area,horses are no longer bedded on straw as in the past,but rather on wood shavings.Would preparing the soil with this manure be detrimental?

3)Is the space I have available enough to produce appreciable amounts of all these berries, or am I best advised to reduce the number of fruit-types so as to have enough for our family?

4)In my zone 9A climate,when should I be planting ?We are in a temperate rain forest,sometimes 60 + inches from Oct.-April.

5)Finally,is there any way,with the available space, that I can sneak in an asparagus bed among all the fruit?This little patch gets the most sun on my property,and I'd been planning my asparagus bed for this location before (foolishly?) offering the area for her beloved berries.

Sorry for the long-winded post,really anxious to get this off to the best possible start,wasting neither effort or money.Thanks for your replies, in advance.

Comments (7)