SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

Invasive grass growing in the future soft fruit orchard- help!

dirtslinger2
15 years ago

I'm stricken with 'canary reed grass' covering pretty much my entire farm. Makes a great forage for grazing animals with it's rapid growth, but it is also the biggest pain when it comes to veggie gardens, and any other plantings!

The root system is thick and strong, it seems capable to actually strangle out young fruit trees- but heavy mulch and constant hand pulling has kept the majority of trees alive (4 years).

I 'think' that when the fruit trees develop a canopy- the shade will keep the CR grass at bay. I needs direct sun.

A 20' x 20' patch of overly close planted Jerusalem artichokes seem to be holding the grass at bay also (shade AND over competition)

NOW... I want to plant blueberries, raspberries, currants, etc etc. Digging it out completely only lasts about 2 months- it spreads back. Mulch really isn't a cure. And I don't want to spray chemicals around my food crops. Any other ideas??

- It pokes through black plastic

- Cardboard mulch is not effective at any thickness

- I could certainly use the high strength 'Horticultural Vinegar', but long term it's still going to spread into spots (example the raspberries) where you just can't really spray it... though the vinegar is simply defoliant, not cure, anyways.

Sorry for the length of post- but figured a thorough description would help.

THANKS for any ideas!!

Comments (17)