SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferemily_gw

Received My Soil Test Results - Not Sure How to Proceed

jenniferemily
16 years ago

I was planning on tilling my 1200 square foot lot around my pool in order to properly amend my clay soil. I did not want to kill my grass with Round Up because I am trying to go organic. I was going to kill the weeds with a vinegar spray and till in the existing grass. Responses to a prior post I made, suggested I should start over because I did not properly amend the soil prior to backfilling the pool. I have a lot of weeds and I was attributing it to poor soil and having to plant the grass seed in late spring.

I just received my soil test results and now I am not sure if I should give up on the existing grass. Here are the results:

ph 7.4

Phosphorus 357 (High)

Potassium 545 (High)

Magnesium 465 (High)

Calcium 10520 (High)

Aluminu, - 20, Iron - 4, Manganese - 61, Zinc - 5.5, Organic Matter - 2.2, Nitrate - 13, Salts - .260

The only recommendation is to apply nitrogen at 3 pounds per 1000 sq ft and apply elemental sulfur at 2 lbs in the spring and fall. I just applied Jonathan Green's organic fertilizer yesterday. What do you think I should use for the sulfur.

I am thinking now of mowing low, aerating the existing grass, laying compost, and overseeding. The soil results are better than I expected and there are areas of the lawn that look decent. Hopefully the weeds were more from planting seeds in the spring.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (5)