SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael357

Apple orchard N and P recs. from my soil test results

Michael
12 years ago

I sampled the soil in the orchard of 5th leaf apple trees from 0-12" depth and came up with the following results:

%CaCO3 = 2.8%

pH=7.4

Micros. in PPM

Mn= 9.5

Cu= 3.0

Zn= 10.7

Fe= 12.9

B = 0.09

Macros. in PPM

NO3= 4.2

P= 13.4

K= 720

% O.M. = 1.4

This is a sandy clay loam

It appears to me that the micro. levels are fine and that I'll be fertilizing with P and N, not certain exactly how much for them. However, that lime, looking at the leaves looks to be binding up the Fe and possibly Zn. If the trees were older and larger I'd have already done a leaf tissue sample to confirm which is the problem or both.

For now it makes sense to get the pH down to about 6.5 in the top foot of soil (or more) where most of the roots are so the micros. can be used by the trees. Increasing the OM is a good idea too, started doing that 3 years ago with wood chip mulch and will continue by adding wood chips and hopefully cow poop this Spring.

I have access to 10-34-0 (liquid), urea, 28-0-0. Now for the question, how much N and P2O5 so you all think this soil needs added to it?

The purpose of those particular fertilizers is 3-fold, I have access to them all, they can be fertigated in and the urea in particular can be particularly useful to lower the soil pH. In addition, by fertigating in the pH dropping ferts. they can be carried into the root zone and begin acting much quicker than using S. The other drawback of S is that it has to be incorporated, to do so would chew up the root systems.

Methinks I'll be best using the 10-34-0 + urea as it will give me the N and P I need. Perhaps some surface applied Ag. S would help over time with overhead water from the sky or hose, beats me.

What sayith thou?

Comments (16)