SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neohippie

Got my soil test results!

neohippie
13 years ago

I'm putting this here instead of the soil forum because I'm growing veggies. This is my second year growing this garden here. I rent this house and previously the backyard was a big neglected patch of Bermudagrass and weeds. I asked the landlord's permission to grow a garden, and then ended up digging up the entire area that was sunny enough.

You know you're a garden nerd when you get all excited about soil test results! I highly recommend any gardener doing this. Since I'm in Texas I got mine done through Texas A&M (http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/), and since I've never done this before, I got the full test where they test everything they can, and it cost only $25. The cheapest test they do where I think they only test NPK is something like $10. (Of course I spent another $5 on shipping since a pint of soil is heavy, but still, not too expensive.) The results sheet I got back is very clear and easy to read and understand, showing how much of each nutrient I have in ppm, and how much I should have (the "critical level"). For the ones I'm low in, it even gives me an amount of fertilizer I should add in in lbs/1,000 sq ft, though that takes a little calculating to translate to how much of any given fertilizer to add (which they tell you how to do on their website).

Ok, I will NEVER allow ANYONE to diss my soil again! My soil is AWESOME! I'm actually pretty surprised at how good these numbers are. In fact, yesterday at Lowe's I actually had a guy that worked there talking to me about how much the soil here sucks, and recommending to me various products I should apply to it. Good thing I waited on buying anything until I got my results in.

My soil is Texas Hill Country clay with lots and LOTS of chunks of limestone. I was afraid my pH would be way high with all this limestone, but it was only "slightly alkaline" at 7.6.

The only nutrient I'm really low in is nitrogen. My phosphorus and potassium are both well above the "critical level". I think this means that I might as well we buying fertilizer that have zeroes for the last two numbers on them. I think this is important because I'm always hearing from other gardeners online and stuff about how bad too much nitrogen is for vegetables like tomatoes and stuff. "All leaves and no fruit," they say, so you need to get fertilizers that have higher P and K numbers and low N. Well, people REALLY NEED to get a soil test, then, just to make sure they're not already fine with P and K and are wasting their money buying fertilizers with those.

As I understand it, P and K stay in the soil longer than N too, so you're a lot more likely to be low in N than the other ones.

I also got all my trace minerals tested, just in case. I'm slightly low in sulfur, slightly enough that they tell me not to worry about it, but everything else is good. The critical level for calcium is 180 ppm, and I have 9,341 ppm! Holy moly! All that limestone, no doubt. And some people actually BUY limestone to add to their soil? (Not around here, though, but I see that on TV sometimes. Too bad they can't just buy some from me.)

Sodium is really low, but if I understand this correctly, it's supposed to be low. Sodium = salt, and it looks like less is better in this case. My conductivity is really low too, which I had to look up because I didn't know what that meant, and it looks like it's related to salt content as well, and it's also supposed to be low.

Finally my organic matter is 6.34%. At first I thought that seems low, but then after some Googling to find out what is typical, it said soils typically range from 1% for forests to 5% for grasslands. So as I understand it, anything above 5% is actually considered high! Cool!

So it turns out that all I have to work on is adding nitrogen and maybe trying to bring this pH down a bit. And I'm trying to be organic here too. It would be nice if I could find a soil additive that is both high in nitrogen and acidic. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm up for it.

Oh, and one last thing. The A&M website also gives the needed ppm for the most common veggie crops, since it varies a little. I was surprised to learn that the veggie that seems to need the highest N is potatoes! It's even higher than corn, which is what people are always telling me is a plant that needs a lot of nitrogen. But this explains why I had such a lousy potato crop last year (I didn't even bother to plant any this year). I got such low yields, I would have been better off just eating the seed potatoes and saving the trouble of planting them. I thought it might be because I didn't have enough potassium, because everyone says potassium is for root crops, but nope, the poor potatoes were starved for nitrogen!

Comments (19)