SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lana_lang

Slip 'n Slide and kiddie pool burned my grass?

lana_lang
9 years ago

So, here's the story. Sorry it's kind of long:

We had a trusty Wham-O slip 'n slide for a couple of years, and never had any issues with the lawn because of it. This year, we had to replace it because it was damaged. We got a new slip n slide and used it for our daughter's birthday party, and the grass underneath was fine. We drained it, and left it sitting in a heap on a different part of the lawn, starting at about 7 pm. and left it there until the next day. When I picked it up the next morning, to my horror, all the grass underneath was crispy and yellow and dead! (Now, we've left slip n slides out for a good 24 hours in the past, and sometimes the grass would start to yellow a bit, but never turn dry and crispy and die!) I was shocked. And that patch of grass never recovered. In fact, it seemed drier and deader two days AFTER the birthday party. Now it's all dead.

Fast forward a few weeks later, we bought a cheap plastic molded kiddie pool at Walmart and left it turned upside-down, half on the lawn, and half propped up on the patio in the evening. The next day, the small part of the lawn that had been sitting directly under the edge of the pool was yellow and crispy as well! And it got worse even after we moved the pool.

So, now I'm wondering a couple of things:

1) Is there be some kind of new chemical being used in these products that could be killing my grass when exposed for long periods of time? I don't think it's greenhouse effect, just because most of the time it's been on the lawn has been at night.

2) The type of grass we have is different than the grass we've used a slip n slide on in the past. Could different varieties of grass be more sensitive to plastic? I don't know what type of grass we have, but I do know that it's different than our old grass.

any insight would be great!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County