SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dpurvis1984

100 foot Slip N Slide - Lawn care?

dpurvis1984
11 years ago

So for 4th of July we plan on having friends and family over for a big cookout, bonfire, camping, and of course a giant slip n slide! This will be the first time for me building such a thing, and naturally I have some lawn care questions relating to the slip n slide. Our house is situated on a pretty good hill with about a 15-20' drop over the first ~60 feet of the run, after that the drop tapers off then eventually flattens out at the end. My plan is this:

a) Purchase a 10' wide by 100' long sheet of WHITE 6mil poly sheeting for the slide. This step has already been done. I chose white based on recommendations from other sites. Clear plastic can scorch a lawn, and black will make the water evaporate too rapidly and may dry out the slide.

b) Construct a pool near the bottom of the slide to stop people from running off the end and to catch water to prevent a giant mudhole. I plan on using a 20' x 20' tarp or black poly sheeting for this. The pool would be about 10' wide by 15' long. The plan is to buy sandbags and use them to construct a 3 sided pool near the base of the drop.

c) Step C is all about durability and comfort (hopefully). As there may be a fair amount of beer involved in the use of the slide. Again, based on a recomendation take a 2x4 and roll the plastic around it 4-5 times at the top of the hill and drive stakes through the plastic and wood to secure the slide to the ground. (This should prevent tearing) Secondly, I have lots of leftover carpet padding from a recent install. I plan on layering this under the first 10 or 20 feet of the run to cushion peoples landing during takeoff.

d) Stretch the run taught and use sandbags along the run to keep the poly in place.

Okay, now for the questions:

1) I plan on preparing the site for the slide at least 1-2 days before the "event" and it may stay in place for 3-4 days. How long can I reasonably leave the poly sheet in place without destroying my lawn?

2) Should I pump out the water in the "pool" after we are finished, or can I just let it go in the yard and get absorbed naturally? Some have also suggested rigging up a pump DURING the event to recycle water to the top of the slide and prevent overflowing the pool into the yard. Thoughts on this?

3) Concerning comfort of the riders, do you think it would be wise to let the grass grow out for an extra week or so in the designated strip for the slide? My idea is, let the strip for the slide grow long while cutting the rest. Hoping that this will leave a nice "carpet" of grass under the slide and add some padding.

4) About 2 days before the event I plan to cut the grass adjacent to the slide a bit shorter than usual and bag it to keep clippings out of the water. Another option would be to side-discharge the clippings onto the area where the slide will go, again adding extra padding. Thoughts on this one?

5) Lastly, any other ideas on how to construct the pool at the bottom. I don't mind the idea of sandbags, but it will take almost 50 of them which I have to fill, stack, then empty later. Not to mention having to order the sand, and what to do with it when I'm done. Pool doesn't have to be very deep. 6-12" should work great.

Any other ideas and comments are welcome! (I may even post some pictures of the project once completed.)

Really hoping to not destroy my front lawn as it is nice and thick and the only part of my property that has a decent lawn. Unfortunately, it is the only area with a good enough slope for the slide.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)