SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

Husqvarna or Yard Machine lawn tractor?

TJG911
16 years ago

I need to buy a new lawn tractor and I'd appreciate any advice or comments concerning Husqvarna. I prefer to not buy from Home Depot and while there's a local Ariens dealer, Ariens only makes zero turn mowers which are too expensive for my needs - the smallest is the 1634 (16 hp 34" deck) and it costs $2500. I've been using an MTD 12.5 HP 38" deck $800 Walmart tractor since May 2000 and it's been a good mower for the money. I was tempted to buy the Home Depot 13 HP 38" deck $800 Yard Machine tractor (looks very similar to my tractor) but I'm hoping to get a better quality mower. Mine leaks oil from the base of the oil dip stick tube and also directly under the engine (where the front pulley/belt is) so it's a real mess in that area with oil soaked dust, dirt and grass. The left side of the diff leaks oil and I have to top it off 1 or 2 times a season. The engine is down 8 oz of oil after each cutting which takes about 1 hour running the mower. There's a little oil in the exhaust at start up but you don't see blue smoke or smell oil in the exhaust after that. For these reasons I'm leaning away from that $800 YM mower at HD even tho it is 1/2 the price of the Husqvarna. I presently am using mulching blades but I think I'll go with the regular blades on the new mower. On the Husqvarna, I was considering the 2 bag bagger about $320. One other thing, I'm retiring in 2 weeks. The point is that I can now mow the grass when it needs to be mowed vs being bound by the constrictions of work and the weather. This means I can mow it when I need to take off say 1.5-2" of grass vs rain preventing me from mowing and then 3 days later I'm mowing 4" of grass! With the regular blades that was a mess and even the mulching blades leave grass when mowing off that much grass. That's why I switched to mulching blades, plus I don't fertilize the lawn now instead using all those grass clipping as fertilizer. I mow as high as the deck will mow, the last mowing I do mow 1 notch lower.

I am mowing an acre, 90% of that is flat with 1 moderate up/down hill portion that's only about 2000 sq ft and a side hill that is the same size and grade.

I trim around the few objects in the yard and around the house foundation with a 22" walk behind.

I went to the dealer on Saturday and saw the LTH1538 ($1400) and the YTH20K46 ($1600). They did not have the YTH2042 ($1500) on the floor but can get it. I like the LTH1538 but lean towards the YTH2042 for a mere $100 more but then the YTH20K46 has a Koler engine for another $100. a 42" deck is a bit better than the 38 and the 46" is the largest I'd consider and I think is just getting into too big a mower.

Is Husqvarna a good quality tractor for reliability, low maintenance? I'm sure it is a better made machine than the Yard Machine but they cost twice as much. If I get 7 years from the YM for $800 I have to get 14 years from a mower that costs $1400-1600 otherwise I can buy 2 YM for the price of 1 Husqvarna. The ability to remove the deck from these 3 tractors is prabability not something I care about because I live alone and have no one to help me slide the deck sideways out from under the tractor if I were to drop it. Getting it back under the mower ditto.

Here's the specs from the sales literature, all 3 tractors have 2 blades, cast iron front axle and 6 position cutting height with spring assist:

LTH1538 $1400 plus 6% tax

Briggs & Stratton Intek 15 hp, lever operated hydrostatic transmission, 38" 3-in-1 mowing deck, manual clutch blade engagement, 2 anti scalp wheels, 16" turning radius

YTH2042 $1500 plus 6% tax

Premium Briggs & Stratton 20 hp, foot pedal controlled both forward and reverse hydrostatic transmission with cruise control, 42" 3-in-1 mowing deck, manual clutch blade engagement, 2 anti scalp wheels, 16" turning radius

YTH20K46 $1600 plus 6% tax

Premium Koler 20 hp, new 46" deck with deep draw design, foot pedal controlled both forward and reverse hydrostatic transmission with cruise control, 46" 3-in-1 mowing deck, manual clutch blade engagement, 2 anti scalp wheels, 18" turning radius

Thanks for any help you can offer to me.

Tom

Comments (13)