SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parrothead_fa

Neighbor frustrations

parrothead_fa
16 years ago

After spending a good bit of time and money on our lawn and landscaping, I am getting quite frustrated as of late with the next door neighbor's lack of care for his yard. He only mows it once or twice a month, and has no lawn to speak of. Which means that most of the time, he basically has a quarter acre of crabgrass and noxious weed seedheads bobbing in the wind and belching millions of seeds into the air. It is quite windy here, as we are near the coast, and I'm sure his weed farm is part of the reason I have to spend so much time and money constantly ridding my lawn and gardens of the same weeds which comprise his yard. There is little or no grass, instead it is a mixture of beggartick, field bur, crabgrass, creeping charlie, nutsedge and dollarweed. (plus a myriad of weeds I don't even begin to know the name of) And of course, it also looks like a minefield of fire ant nests. So naturally, all the money I spend ridding my property of these pests is for not, as they constantly migrate here from their little safe haven next door. We take pride in our yard and have put a good deal of money into our landscaping, and are feeling quite frustrated with this, as his is the only house in the neihgborhood that looks such a mess and seems to have a pest problem, the other lawns are mostly st augustine and kept neatly trimmed. Most of the folks on the block either have a lawn sevice come once or twice a week, or spend time on their yards themselves, as in our area of Florida, the weeds can take over in just a few weeks time if you're not vigilant. I have spent many a hot steamy day pulling creeping charlie and beggartick from our landscaped areas that border on his weed farm, and frankly, I can think of much better ways to spend hot july days. I have mentioned it to him before, and suggested that he put down sod like everyone else in the neighborhood has, or get a lawn service to come rennovate his yard and suggest some sort of maintenance program. The thing is, he's a nice older guy, I just think he hasn't got any money to take care of this stuff, and is gone much of the time anyway. But still, I can't help but feel peeved because I'm sure that this mess of a yard is contributing a lot to the weeds and pests I keep having to spend my time and hard earned money on. Anyone else ever had a similar experience, and what did you do about it?

Dave

Comments (49)