SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bassplayer7

different problems

Jesse
12 years ago

Hi, I've got a couple of questions here.

I'm working on getting a customer/friend's yard to a "nice" level. Basically my plan was to fertilize it normally, spray weeds when needed, and overseed in the fall. I've run into a couple of problems, though.

The lawn is well-irrigated and contains a mix of what looks like (in order) bluegrass, TTTF, and something like K-31 fescue (more of the pasture style fescue). Overall, the lawn has definitely improved since this spring because of fertilizer and timely spray.

First question is I have noticed small mounds of loose dirt showing up different places. Almost like an ant hill, but it's not. And there's no obvious hole in the top. There are also a couple of places where these "mounds" look more like tunnels in that they snake here and there then, they Y and then split again after that. What do you think is going on here, and how do I take care of that?

I am inclined to think that this could be caused by chipmunks and/or moles. There is, supposedly, a family of chipmunks that lives in the yard. However, I am not familiar with some of these animal's habits.

Second, there's a weed that I've heard called "waterweed" (it's very different then nutsedge), and also some regular crabgrass and some clover (a lot of clover has died but not all of it) that are coming up in mainly the front yard. I say "waterweed" because I don't know what it is called at all. In a way it looks like crabgrass but it doesn't trace back to a single "stalk". However, based off of some pictures I saw online, it looks like a different "style" of crabgrass, and that's what I think I will treat it for when I get a chance.The stuff spreads like wildfire, and come to think of it does best in the summer - another sign that it could be crabgrass. Any ideas on what it could be? I probably could post pictures if needed - I didn't know if one of those signs would ring a bell for someone here.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths