SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnn82

2 different cacti problems. 1 sad and lost person. please help.

jnn82
14 years ago

I have 2 cacti that I just recently adopted. One I believe is a saguaro, if I'm wrong please correct me, and the other I know to be a moon cactus. Before I tell you the problems here is a little about us.

Both cacti are potted indoor plants, I have had the "saguaro" for about 2 1/2 months and the moon for a month and a half. I started them on a monthly watering cycle and I recently watered them a week early because they looked dry. I also included "Schulz Cactus Plus Liquid Plant Food" with their water. Before that it had been about 3 weeks since their last watering.

I work 3rd shifts 3-4 days a week and even when I am not on work I tend to try to stay on my work schedule so I tend to go to sleep around 9AM-noon and sleep until 4-8PM. On workdays they tend to stay in the room with me with a large 3'x4' window giving a little indirect sunlight. If I am not working I tend to take the cacti outside for sun before I go to bed. So they generally get 2-4 days of sunlight, sometimes it would be direct sunlight, sometimes I place them in the shade.

When I watered them last week I noticed on the crown of the "saguaro" a black "mass", or really big spot. I do not think it is a bacterial infection because it is not soft, nor is it leaking. The affected spot is still firm to the touch and none of the needles are loose or falling out. I do not know how long the spot has been there as I didn't notice it until the black was highlighted by the water, but I know its been more than a week. At this point I would say it is a sunburn, however it's just so black, not purple or red.

On the the moon cactus. Recently over the past week we have been having non stop thunderstorms (in FL), day after day. So when the storms finally stated to let up I was anxious to get him outside for some sunshine, I have put the "saguaro" on limited quarantine, he gets some sun but I am keeping a close eye on him. I asked my roommate to please bring him in if it started to rain while I was sleeping. I believe that he sat outside while it was raining and got too much water. Basically my questions are... Is the brown spot from what I believe (over-watering) or what my roommate thinks (going from the temp of about 60 degrees in my room, to the 85-90 degrees outside all the time)? And second, is there any chance for him, or should I start picking burial plots?

I love my plants even to the point of naming them, please any help would be appreciated.

{{gwi:540889}}

His name is "Pet Me" is he a saguaro or am i wrong? Plus you can see a little bit of his black "crown". I have noticed that it tends to stay to one side.

{{gwi:540890}}

Here is more of a close up of the black in question.

{{gwi:540891}}

This is "Flash Bang" can he be saved. This picture makes me sooo sad.

Please help. And any recommendations (beyond never trust my roommate with a living thing) would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living