SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpking828

New House, Old Lawn

mpking
16 years ago

So I just bought my first house. 1950 Ranch in Massachusetts. The lawn is at least that old, and is in sore shape. At least what's left of it. I had a new water line dug in, a bulkhead put on the back. Previous owner had a sewer connection put in.

The bulkhead and the water line, the contractor is coming back mid-august to put loam down. (He wants the ground to settle first)

The sewer line is at least 3 years ago, and it never grew in.

So, since better than 80% of my lawn is weeds / bare earth right now, I know I should just kill it off and start over.

The backyard is worse than the front. I'm reclaiming the backyard from the woods. I've moved the tree/brush line back 60 feet. It's mostly dirt, some brush. I'm using Roundup Brush killer to kill that (Today actually).

Ok.... How do I do this.? It's my first house, a learning experiance, if you will.

My goal is a decent lawn. Reading some of the posts here, I'd just be happy with something that the kids (and the dog) can run around on. I'm not too concerned with how good it looks, as along as it looks better than the disaster area it is now.

So some pointed questions would be:

What do I use to kill it off with.

Do I have to till?

When do I plant?

What do I plant? (HomeDespot suggested this special NewEngland Blend product)

How do I plant it?

About the only things I know are the basics. Water new grass at least twice a day. Water in the morning, never at night. Don't use an emergent blocking product when trying to grow new grass. Don't cut the new grass till the tallest blades are 4 inches. Well, that's all I know.

I can post pictures, but it ain't pretty.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21