SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrgrinch_gw

Watering Now versus Snow Mould Later...

mrgrinch
16 years ago

Hi everyone... this past spring I posted this thread and pics...

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0416552716706.html

... where I explained having some serious recurring snow mould problems each year. One of the hypothesis was that I tend to overwater in summers... which I acknowledge could be the problem!!

It's now that scorching time of year again when my KBG starts to turn that dark green / brown colour. Is this a bad thing? We have had 1" of rain in the last 4 weeks with the average daytime high between 30 - 40 degrees celcius (85 to 105 F). If I stick to the 1" per week rule I find it's not enough to keep the lawn it's emerald green colour through the rest of the summer. So... what should I do?

A) Water based on 1" per week and let hot parts of lawn go dormant.

B) Water a bit more that 1". Spot water and water just enough so that none of the lawn turns dark green and then brown in the hot spots.

C) Water extremely sparingly (less than 1" per week) knowing the mould history and and try to kill off any mould that may be living in the lawn. Let lawn go completely dormant. My neighbour who has the SAME sod as me never waters... his lawn is a bit more weedy but always comes up a nice green in the spring.

D) Continue to water the hell out of it and have the nicest green-est looking lawn on the block for the summer. ;)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Comments (21)