SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stuckidog

New idea for Poa Annua...am I crazy??

stuckidog
15 years ago

So this is what I have determined with Poa and how to control it. As mentioned in another post, it is almost pointless to kill it because you can't kill the seeds. So when you kill it and try to overseed that dead spot, you end up germinating the Poa seed and end up with a brand new patch of Poa.

A pre-emergent will most likely only prevent emerging in that season. The seeds will still be there. I read that they can survive for YEARS. Also, the pre-emergent is not 100%.

I was talking to a friend of mine who said his dad used to get rid of his weeds with....ready...diesel fuel! He would pour down a little fuel and then light it on fire and watch it burn up. It is so hot that it burns it down to the dirt and then burns anything in the dirt. Bye-bye seeds.

I know it's quite a white trash move, but I bet it works well. It seems like it can't be much worse on the environment than constant applications of weed control, and it seems like it would be much more permanent. I would just don a nice wife beater shirt with a dirtly belly and throw in some Billy Bob teeth so I look the role. Once it burns down, I could apply a little topsoil and then overseed.

Any thoughts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH