SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vinny_kitchen

I'm new..help with layout..will it drive me crazy?

vinny_kitchen
16 years ago

We are planning an addition that will include a master bed and bath and a new family room. We are planning to tear down the back wall of the kitchen and have it open into the new family room. We don't want to get into a major redo of the kitchen (we want to save that for phase 2 if we survive phase 1) so we are hoping to leave intact one and a half walls of cabinets and counters, while replacing the back wall of counters with a new island (or peninsula, as it turns out). Here is the architect's preliminary drawing (I've cropped it so all you are seeing is the kitchen with the new family room off to the left.

{{gwi:1753488}}

The fridge and wall of cabinets/counters to the right of the fridge as you are looking at it exists now and will be unchanged. The right hand wall with the stove exists and will be unchanged. The peninsula wall with the sink is the new part, as are the cabinets (pantry) on the other side of the fridge.

As you look at the layout, the door in the upper right comes in straight across from the house's main entry. The door at the bottom comes in from the DR (currently the only eating area). The room at the bottom left is an existing office and there is an existing door from that office into the DR which the architect proposed closing off, but I am leaning against doing that.

Kitchen is a two-cook kitchen, I have three kids and a large dog. Peninsula will have stools on the family room side, and will be used for casual meals and homework. Dog bowls will need to go somewhere in there. We entertain (informal family gatherings, but my DH has a large family.) In addition to the sink, the peninsula will have the dishwasher and pull out recycling bins. We have and use an espresso machine. We'll be replacing sink, keeping faucet, keeping and reusing dishwasher, undecided about whether we're replacing fridge and stove.

I have lots of questions, including about mixing styles and colors of the new peninsula cabinets with existing cabinets, but I want to start with this -- I can't really do anything about the fact that there will continue to be significant traffic flow through the kitchen. Will the fact that I have to go around the peninsula to get from family room to dining room bug me? We had been thinking it would be an island rather than a peninsula, but this way we get the pantry area to the left of the fridge and with two paths, the paths would be narrow or the island small. I'm going to have a net loss of a couple of overhead cabinets, so I need to make them up in the island. The pantry (to the left of the fridge) will be new space, but since I am currently keeping overflow pantry items down in the basement, this is necessary new space.

What do you think? Thanks,

Vinny (newbie)

Comments (8)