SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fish7577

So much crabgrass in thin new lawn, how can I overseed?

fish7577
13 years ago

We planted a new lawn this spring, which unfortunately went in too late (3rd week of May). It came in very thin and relatively weed free... until the crabgrass started. The grass is still thin and short (has only grown about 2 inches) and the crabgrass has taken over the lawn. As thin as the grass is, I planned to overseed this fall. I know the crabgrass will die and I can use preventer next spring, but I think it will significantly prevent me from seeding a lot of the soil.

I wish I could pull it all, but it's too big (about 1 acre of grass). Could I cut everything as short as possible in mid september, hopefully cutting the crabgrass back to a smaller area, and then seed with a slit seeder or powerrake first? What about spot treating all the crabgrass with roundup a couple weeks before I seed? It would be quite a job to spot spray everthing, but much easier than trying to pull it. I would think that the crabgrass would die back a little and allow more soil-seed contact. If it didn't pull up such large clumps of dirt along with it, I could envision spending hours and hours pulling crabgrass because of how much better it would look, but I can't imagine having to fill in all the holes with soil. Some areas are so bad that I may just plow/till them and start over.

Any thoughts?

Comments (6)