SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehamm_gw

I need to fix some problems but in what order?

ehamm
15 years ago

In April, we put in a new lawn. It was one of those spray in jobs where they spray a foam with seed onto the soil. The seed was a blend. The lawn covers about 1/3 of an acre in my front yard and now has just about every problem you can think of. My two biggest concerns: I have areas where bermuda grass has started to take over (I don't want any bermuda grass!), and I have areas with high concentrations of crabgrass. There are also several areas that are rather bare. I have just started spraying the bermuda grass with turflon ester and the crabgrass with a post emergant (monterey weed-hoe). I am planning to reseed here soon.

Here's my questions:

(1) Before I reseed, do I need to pull out the dead crabgrass? Or just let it die back and seed over it?

(2) Should I continue to spray for bermuda and crabgrass when I reseed? Or will the spraying kill the weedseed?

(3) I've been told by the locals NOT to fertilize yet as my lawn's roots haven't had time to develop and a fertilizer will damage the grass. When should I start? Will fertilizer hurt any seed that I may have put down?

Thanks!

Comments (4)