SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raymondo17

Lawn Care During Drought

9 years ago

I live in California where we're experiencing a serious drought. I take good care of my lawn and have done what I can to water wisely -- installed water efficient sprinkler heads, cut back the watering time, and carefully water deeply and infrequently. My lawn still looks pretty good. There may come a time when I completely redo my yards with xeriscaping, but that's not in the cards for the immediate future.

Even though there's no mandatory lawn watering reduction in effect, throughout my neighborhood many folks have completely stopped watering their lawn. Some claim it's the "patriotic" thing to do to let their lawn go brown. My next door neighbor has stopped cutting it completely saying that the longer it is, the more it shades the ground and thus conserves moisture. The result is that the entire neighborhood looks like a war zone -- brown or ragged, uncut lawns everywhere you look.

Is there any truth to the concept of not cutting the lawn to conserve moisture? Should I be letting my well-manicured lawn go brown as well, or continue efficient watering practices?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022