SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
everythingirl1

Irrigating during a drought: Ideas, Suggestions, Rantings?

everythingirl1
14 years ago

Hi all - I'd like to hear your ideas for irrigating in a drought and making the water you do use last longer......

I have a raised bed vegetable garden, perennials in mulched beds, trees, and several potted vegetables / ornamentals. I mostly irrigate with a reclaimed water irrigation system. (sprinklers for lawn and soaker hose for veggie garden / mulched beds/ trees)

I run the system twice a week for 20 mins each (40 mins total per week) in the early AM (6 AM). The plants in shade/partial shade will stay moist but anything in Full Sun is suffering. By mid-day of the same day that I water with the reclaimed water irrigation system, the soil in the raised veggie beds will be bone-dry. The mulched areas of perennials will be moist but not wet. Container plants that I hand water in the AM will be bone dry by the next AM. I mulch everything with pine bark or grass clippings or compost. Still, the plants in full sun dry out very quickly.....

My city-water bills have doubled in the past month as I am having to hand water some of the vegetables every day. I definitely have to water container plants every day (and yes, I used moisture control potting mix) Given that we are in extreme drought right now, I am very conflicted about watering my vegetable garden so much........

What are you doing for irrigation? Do you use soaker hoses, etc? Any ideas for retaining water in raised beds (raised bed is composed of pavers stacked on top of each other)? Any ideas for watering containers so that it lasts longer than 24 hrs? Ideas for self watering (upside down bottle, etc.?)

I'd use a rain barrel, but we have no gutters.......

Comments (3)