SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

letting your lawn go to 'sleep' during drought

mstywoods
11 years ago

I am seriously considering stopping most of the watering of my lawn due to this hot, dry weather having made the majority of it go dormant. My backyard lawn is probably 90% dormant and seriously brown and crunchy :^(. I've been keeping up on the watering, and parts have been starting to try to come back (after making the mistake of running a dethatcher over it about a month ago, when it was already getting too hot and dry), but it is still in such poor condition I don't have hopes for it ever getting back to looking primarily green this season.

I found this site that has recommendations about doing this, such as keeping it watered about 1/2" every 2-3 weeks in order to keep the roots alive: http://www.wikihow.com/Save-Water-with-a-Sleeping-Lawn.

Has anyone else tried doing this? Were you successfuly in that your lawn did come back the following season?

We may go ahead and try this, and if it doesn't come back better next year than I guess it's the impetus we need to make a major change in the amount of lawn area we have as we've thought about doing on numerous occasions!

Thanks,

Marj

Comments (15)