SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawn_care

Question about lawn care

lawn_care
14 years ago

I am in need of some advice. I am in new construction and the lawn is in bad shape. I tried to aerate, seed, etc last year but the results were less than desirable. While I was able to grow some lawn most is clover and a collection of other weeds. I know clover is actually beneficial, but the amount I have is ~50% of the yard. This is not a one-fff for my yard. It seems most folks in the neighborhood are in the same boat.

This brings me to my question - I have been researching options on what I can do to grow a lawn. I looked into a broadweeed killer, and a treatment of roundup to burn the entire lawn and start from scratch. I spoke to a local lawn company, that came highly recommended. They said they could kill off the lawn and guaranteed sod quality lawn by next season. I saw some of the work they did and it was very impressive. The lawns truly were of sod quality, but as you can imagine it is quite expensive ($100 per 100 sq ft). The other option is to hire a Scotts, or the like, and have them apply a broadweed killer such as Weed B Gone and apply new seed to the lawn. I assume this would be quite a bit cheaper (no quote yet), but I would be left with a mix of lawns.

Finally, another question I had is if I go with either option I feel I need a layer of topsoli, due to the poor soil quality (again new construction) but the local lawn company says no. Again - they GUARANTEE sod quality lawn. Anyone have experience with such a thing? I just want to make sure this sounds legit before I go with this option. Thanks for the advice.

Comments (5)