SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spotco2

HELP! I don't cust grass, I just stir up dust.

spotco2
16 years ago

I am in Zone 7 in Georgia according to the chart here or you can also find me at ZIP 30153.

I'm hoping for some help with my yard. I will admit that I am rather ignorant as far as what grows where and how to make it do so.

The ground here in this part of NW Georgia is red clay and during these hot, dry sumer months it's hard as a rock. My yard has a mix of what I think is KBG and fescue. I am not sure how much fertilization the previous owner did (I think not much). I have not had the chance to do any at this point and honestly am not sure what to use.

I have large bare spots covering most of the yard and when I cut grass there is a nice dust cloud that forms and covers 3 houses. My neighbors love me.

The back yard has full sun from about 2 hours after sunrise until early evening, then the sun passes the house and the front yard gets evening sun until sunset. The sides of the house are sloped and drop about 8 feet in about a 40 foot span. This has caused some erosion along the sides that I like to think could be taken care of with something growing there.

There are several large pine trees along one side of the house with 3 hardwoods in the front. There is very little if any grass surrounding any of these. I am not sure if that is an erosion issue or a shade issue, but those areas are definately very shaded for a majority of the day.

I would love to have the most beautiful yard in town, but would settle from just anything green at this point. What grass is here seems to be hardy, but what i have tried to put out, hardly seems to come up.

What can I do about the baren spots? Is this a case of tilling up the clay and mixing in a few yards of topsoil?

You can see detailed pics on my site at

http://spotco2.com/yard/

I appreciate any helpful comments or advice.

Comments (13)