SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaig_gw

Is Roundup going to make my life easier?

kaig
16 years ago

This year, I'm trying to get my backyard in shape, and I'm still looking for a plan.

Last summer, I did my frontyard, and it came out fine, but I don't have as much time this year, and the backyard is bigger, anyway. My house was built two years ago, a thin layer of topsoil on top of rocky-sandy-clayey (does that make sense) fill. The grass the builder seed only came in in patches, and where there was not grass, much of the top soil was washed away, so it's all uneven now. In the frontyard, I basically ripped up all the sod (with a mattock, the best tool I could find for the job), then sifted what I got up and ended up with piles of nice dirt, rocks (which I wheelbarrowed away) and organic stuff (grass+roots), which went on the compost piles. The I spread the topsoil again, seeded and it's pretty much all real nice now (the part I seeded end of August being quite a bit nicer than the part I did end of September, but I'm only human, and that was a lot of prep work which had to be done first).

Frontyard this year:

{{gwi:100967}}

Now, I'm looking for some easier way for the backyard. Currently it's in bad but not horrible shape. It's quite uneven, many patches with little grass, which are either quite rocky, or taken over by weeds (the weeds are really everywhere, anyway). One of my plans is to buy topsoil and add a layer on top of everything. However, besides that being not cheap and involving a lot of wheelbarrowing, I see some drawbacks. One being that I'd be hoping to smother the existing weeds just by adding the soil on top. However, it'll still be 1 or two inches on average I guess, so I'm not sure whether that'll do it. Then, the other problem is that it's really hard to even out a large area where there is still sod showing through, and it will.

So that's the main questions, if I round things up now, will it be easier to rake up the sod within a few weeks? Currently, it's a painful job, best done with the mattock, and a lot of dirt comes up with it, which I don't want to haul away, so it involves sifting, painful again.

Another problem I'm wondering about is that the backyard is sloped, so I'm afraid of just leaving it bare after raking / adding topsoil, because heavy rains my wash out the new soil again, or at least make it all bumpy.

Anyway, all kinds of advice are appreciated. I'm also considering to just reseed areas as I go, knowing it's the worst time of the year, but probably everything's better than just leaving bare topsoil on a slope. I can always redo it / overseed come August.

Here's a pic of some area of the backyard, where I scalped the lawn, and added topsoil (left over from the front yard), maybe it helps to visualize things:

{{gwi:100968}}

back to front: the lawn just mowed normally, the lawn scalped, added topsoil on top of the scalped lawn -- not enough grass to still be called lawn, but too much to level it well.

What looks nice and green in the back really looks like this, plus a lot of rocks, and the bumpiness which one can't see so easily:

{{gwi:100969}}

Comments (3)