SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minnesota_eric

Lawn repair or just a tune up?

Minnesota_Eric
10 years ago

My first lawn. Lived here for about 5 years. I have never fed or fertilized or done anything to the lawn except infrequent weed b gone to fight dandelions in the spring. I water only in extremely dire circumstances and never collect the grass clippings.

The lawn is very bumpy, patchy, thin and inconsistent. There are many areas of dead grass or even exposed soil. Even some moss in certain areas, which I don't understand. There are many dandelions every spring and this year clover is taking much of the front yard.

This year I made a goal to improve the overall quality of the lawn. Nothing drastic, but just make it more consistent, thicker and healthy. I am very new to lawn care, so i'm looking for some guidance.

Where should I start? What are my options? I have heard various opinions. The simplest being to start feeding corn gluten meal in spring and fall, and in a year or two, the lawn will thicken and crowd out the weeds. Another more labor intensive approach was to first spray and kill all the weeds, then 3 weeks later seed new grass, then 3 weeks later fertilize. sounds like quite a bit of work... and money! I am really hoping I don't need to do any tilling or re-sodding.

Any suggestions?

Thank you !

Comments (2)