SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wankel

Just bought my first lawn tractor....

wankel
17 years ago

First of all, I want to say that I first logged onto this forum about eight months ago and it has helped me immeasurably with the purchase of my tractor. I'm the guy who moved to Maryland and faced with 1.2 acres of grass to mow, had to use a Craftsman self-propelled walk-behind mower last season because our house in South Carolina hadn't sold and cash was tight.

Well, the South Carolina house sold on Friday, April 13 and Lawn Tractor forum notes in hand from the past eight months, I went a-shopping today.

I had considered Simplicity, Deere and Craftsman/Husqvarnas. The Simplicity dealer is a bit of a hike and I'm not concerned about striping and the perfect look. So it was down to Deere and the Sears offerings.

SEARS -----------------------------------------------------

Sears is closest to our house (about 3 miles) so I stopped by there first. My list had the model #28728 for $1685 and the MTS Monster Mower model #28742 for $2080.

Note - Sears is offering a special deal where if you buy selected tractors you can get a spreader/aerator for 20% off but I wasn't too impressed with this. The aerator was a spike type and I have never liked using a drop spreader. So the special deal was no real incentive for me. The Sears broadcast spreader holds 85 pounds and sells for around $90.

I also would rather not have to buy a separate mulching attachment but thats the way it is at Sears, so you go with the flow.

I started lifting hoods and such and the salesman came over but he was nice about not bothering me when I told him I was just looking and that I would seek him out if I wanted to buy or had other questions.

I focused on the 28728 model. Now, I don't know much compared to some of the other users on this forum, but I noticed the chassis, constructed of L-channel steel, seemed thinner than I would have expected and flexed a bit when I pushed on it with my hand. Just an observation, because sometimes flexing isn't bad when the alternative is breaking. There was also a good bit of plastic on parts near the ground. Again, not necessarily bad.

At this point, I called the salesman over and told him that I had done quite a bit of research on these models and wanted his best deal on a tractor, a broadcast spreader, an optional mulching kit, and home delivery. He started off by saying that home delivery to my house, 3 miles away, would be $65. No deal on buying a bunch of stuff at the same time in one purchase. They couldn't accomodate my request for a test drive. No special financing options.

I asked him about service. He said that for the first two years, Sears would come to my house and do any repairs. I recall that some of the members of this forum have complained about bad home service from Sears and asked him if they would come within, say, a preset length of time if I had a problem. No, they don't have any policy like that, he replied. He then started off on the extended warranty but I cut him short and asked him about out-of-warranty service, like if I wanted to bring the tractor to Sears, instead of the nearest Husqvarna dealer, which is about twenty miles away, or another shop.

He replied that there was no way I could bring the tractor in for repairs; that Sears Craftsman service on lawn tractors is STRICTLY they-come-to-you. This blew me away and I asked him again for confirmation - that there was NO WAY I could bring a tractor to a Sears repair facility? He replied that this wasn't an option. I dunno...maybe my town is so small that they don't have a big repair facility, but this was a major turn-off. So I asked him what the service charge was for one of these home visits and was told $96.00. This gave him the opportunity to start in on the extended warranty hard sell again but cut him short again.

I told him that I was now going to the John Deere dealer to compare his product against one of theirs and that if I decided in favor of Sears, I would come back and buy from him. Fair enough, he said, but not before getting in a bit of Deere bashing.

BTW, I also looked at a Husqvarna model #28756 ($1800) at Sears but it didn't seem to be as well built as the Husqvarna built Craftsman models, so I focused on Craftsman.

JOHN DEERE ------------------------------------------------

I seem to be lucky in that Westminster, Maryland has a really comprehensive Deere dealership with several locations (Finch). The nearest to me is 8 miles away. So I left Sears and went there. Walked in and was greeted by a sales rep but no pressure. The place was fairly busy and parts and service, which was off to one side, seemed to be pretty well stocked and organized.

The LA140 was my tractor to look it. Possibly overkill in that I could probably get by with an LA130 but we have a bit of a slope in our front yard, our yard is fairly clumpy due to the activities of our dogs and their by-products, and I am a fairly heavy guy.

I lifted the hood and started looking. The first thing I noticed was that the chassis, instead of being L-channel metal, was C-channel steel. I couldn't flex it when I pushed against it. There was a lot more metal near the ground... again, just an observation.

The Deere broadcast spreader was a lot more expensive (around $250) but it was double the capacity and seemed sturdier, with better wheels.

I called the salesman over, told him I had done my homework, asked him for a test drive, and asked him to quote me a price on the LA140, a broadcast spreader, and home delivery. he asked me how far I lived from the dealership. I told him 8 miles and he told me they would deliver it for free.

He took the time to answer all my questions and showed me the service department. I opted for the 12 month no interest financing and it took maybe five minutes to do the paperwork.

I asked him if he would throw in a John Deere cap for my wife and he did so - a nice pink one. My wife, btw, was very anti-lawn tractor, telling me when we moved here that cutting 1.2 acres of grass with a self-propelled would be "good for me". After explaining to her that there was a difference between fitness and cardiac arrest, I engaged HER HELP in the grass cutting and she came around pretty fast. So she can wear the John Deere cap when SHE is out there riding the lawn tractor this coming grass cutting season.

OK, some folks might be saying this is an apples to oranges comparison, that my John Deere experience at about $2700 could no way compare to a potential Sears purchase for maybe $1900 -$2200 and that the difference in prices could pay for quite a few Sears at-home service visits but for me, the issue came down to PROCESS and CONFIDENCE first. I don't know if Finch John Deere will come to my house or not for repairs but it's nice to know I can take the mower to them as an option. They had a well organized service center that impressed me. I don't know what Sears Service has - it was the great unknown. The Sears salesman kept pushing an extended warranty but I rarely get them anyway. I don't even know if Deere has an extended warranty but the saesman said nothing about one, and it was nice to not have to fight off this kind of chatter.

This is just my own personal experience. Had I lived a long way from a Deere dealership, or if the it was a small, no-care Deere dealer, or if a Simplicity dealer was closer, I might have made a different choice, but for me, dealer support and service is a big deal. I have paid through the nose in the past with a penny wise/pound foolish approach. I would rather not sweat poor dealer service or long waits for service if 1.2 acres of grass is growing in what seems to be inches a day and I'm unable to cut it because my mower is down.

The next issue in my decision was CONSTRUCTION. Again, I am no lawn tractor expert but the Deere seemed more solidly built. Do I need it, to the tune of a $500 price difference? Maybe not, but I feel better about it.

The last factor for me was FINANCING. Sears had none, the Deere plan will at least make the difference in price a bit more palatable.

Hope this helps you guys who are making the same decision. I had researched this stuff until I was sick of it.

Comments (19)

Sponsored