SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjra_gw

What to do with this area?

cjra
15 years ago

I'm not going to start anything yet, as we have too many other lawn projects on going, but I want to think ahead to next Spring.

photo in link

We have this large area on the west side of our house which is heavily shaded. After years of neglect and abuse by 3 dogs, it's a patch of dirt and weeds. The trees do need to be pruned, and I'm still tempted to cut down some of the random hackberries growing along the fence line, but in general we like the canopy so won't cut back things too far. The trees include 2 pecans, a huge cedar elm in the front with an offshoot near it, a palm trying to grow alongside something else I'd like to pull out, a crazy growing fig, and assorted other trees I don't know the names of.

I really would like to have some grass here. I'd like it to be available as an area to play. It'll have a sand box and swing set somewhere, but what will grow there? I need something that's drought tolerant. We're trying to put Shadow turf in front, but though very shaded, it does get some morning sun. This part gets next to none, except for a few scattered spots in the later afternoon.

I'm in San Antonio, TX which is hot and dry much of the year, although humid enough that we get about 10-15 gallons of water from the air conditioner per day if it's running at 80F all day.

Here is a link that might be useful: What to do with this?

Comments (6)