SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rrmccabe

New Fescue Lawn and Member

rrmccabe
10 years ago

I am new to the forum and trying to establish a new turf type tall fescue lawn. I hang out on a few other tractor forums where they have landscaping sections but just not enough information there to move me forward. Searches always bring me here !

I bought a property about 3 1/2 years ago and turned half of it upside down. Graded creek banks back, added a large culvert and dirt for a drive and removed a lot of bad trees. Not to mention digging a hole for the house and changing grade accordingly.

We had 2 years of severe drought and found out how hard it is to really keep it watered with a lot of bare dirt. We have about 2.1 acres of actual turf on a 3.1 acre property.

I have been seeding in spring and fall trying to get things started and stop erosion but 90% of my success of course has been in the fall. I have been using Tenacity Herbicide which allows me to seed without killing it. I think that part has worked pretty well as I have got the massive amounts of crabgrass under control. I also have used trimec and 2-4-D mid year to kill other weeds.

I haven't done much for fertilizer except 13-13-13 originally with the hydro-seed and recently some nitrogen pellets. By the way the spring hydro-seed job was pretty unsuccessful and the fall seeding which I just spread and raked in with a landscape rake was the first real start to the lawn.

I know everyone says to analyze the soil to figure out where to go. Wondering if there is good do it yourself systems without taking it to my state offices for test. As I mentioned above (turning the place upside down) There is dirt from 12' down on top in most places and the original soil up the hill was a sandy clay type and the rest down by the house was black loamy soil. So I really doubt I could move 10' around the property without getting different results.

I feel I am making progress but really did not plan on it taking 5 years to do it !

So wondering if I am on the right track just moving to fall seeding to thicken it up. As everyone knows Fescue does not spread like bluegrass.

As far as equipment I have a compact utility tractor with a 3 point sprayer and spreader.

I have had a bad habit of probably mowing too short to make it look nice so moving towards mowing higher as I have heard that helps. I currently have the mower set at 3 1/4 inches.

This is more of an introductory post than anything as I continue to read all the threads.

Comments (2)