SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
painfullybrilliant

Bermuda Grass Seed Heads?

painfullybrilliant
12 years ago

Hello,

Complete newbie here so looking forward to learning a lot.

I don't know if my bermuda lawn is growing seed heads, but there is a green/yellow fuzz phenomenon going on and I would like to get a confirmation and remedy if possible. They have just sprouted over the last 4 days.

Some details:

800 sq ft bermuda sod (midiron variety) planted May 5th 2011 (about 8 weeks ago)

mowed twice with neighbors mower until i figure out what mower to go with - dropped wheels to what I believe is as low as they go, not sure how much i took off, but it cut the grass rather low

applied fertilizer for first time this past weekend, June 23rd - Scott's Green Max Southern Lawn Fertilizer - followed instructions for amounts and spreader settings

Watering - here is where I think I need a bit of help. I am in Arizona and temperatures have now reached 115 degrees. I tend to over analyze things a bit and I am a bit paranoid with evaporation - so I was watering the lawn everyday for about 30 minutes before sunrise. Originally I was following the sod farm's recommendations on watering throughout the day for four weeks after planting, but then that's where recommendations and instructions get fuzzy - because it just all depends - moved the schedule to the morning, instead of throughout the day. In other words, the grass is getting the same amount of water, just earlier in the day before the heat really hits. I read somewhere that when in doubt, just water. I think I have been regularly drowning my grass for about 2 weeks now - although there are no obvious signs of pooling of water. I cut back about 3 days ago to every other day, 30 minutes before sunrise. I would like to train the lawn down to 3 days, if that is what is best. I have included a link of my green/yellow meadow below. Please feel free to post comments on both here and the pictures themselves if you have any recommendations or thoughts on what is happening to my lawn.

Thanks for reading and for any help!

https://picasaweb.google.com/117106580084470039322/BermudaGrassSeedHeads?authkey=Gv1sRgCJru8KzKlMSUvAE&feat=directlink

(i am already noticing some issues with my palms, but I will save that for another forum and another day)

Here is a link that might be useful: Green / Yellow Fuzzy Lawn

Comments (8)