SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wwwonderwhiskers

Natural areas encroaching into grass

wwwonderwhiskers
11 years ago

This might be a question about tough-weed tactics in the good lawn area.

Am beginning a more organic routine, and taking guidance from here & bestlawn. Out of 3.1 acres, there's about 55k sq ft of mowing area. In that, we had 10 pallets of sod laid last August, and the rest S&S. Where topsoil is good, even the S&S took nicely.

Question is, in are areas where the natural wooded areas border the grass, tons of nasty woodland creeping stuff is creeping into the lawn underground. Since February I've been handling this by hand weekly - pulling, doing sessions of cutting, then hand-applying brush-kill with a small brush. (don't laugh) Most of it in the nicer lawn areas is cut now when we cut the grass, and I expect the grass to choke it out eventually. However, there is a "back 40" which was S&S over the septic drain field, and there are areas there which remain about 40% wild rose, briars, wild grape, thistle, and poison ivey. The worse areas that i want to grass, I'm just going to nuke with brush kill (after the re-naturalized raspberries finish producing *grin*), then level the ground, and plant seed this fall. The worst areas of the back 40 I've brush-killed, and will do same leveling & seeding this fall. It's that middle area that has a TREMENDOUS amount of crap in the grass, but there is mostly thick lush clumps of (whatever seed he planted).

My goal for this area is to have a nice grass path around, and make the entire center into a blooming meadow. But I need to get the briars & poison vine & nasties out first.

I've read about the pyramid, and just did a significant amount of liquid spot-spraying with WBG. I do not see that it's gonna cut the briars, wild rose, poison ivey, or thistle that is thick in the back areas, but then it's only been a few days.

Any suggestion for those creeping nasties would be appreciated!

Comments (6)