SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stcitygardener

new marathon sod - how much watering?

StCitygardener
11 years ago

We just put down new Marathon sod. I was wondering how much watering I should do in the first few weeks to get the root system established. Some websites suggest up to three times per day (at about 15 minutes per watering), seven days per week, which to me seems a bit extreme. Then again, maybe it's fine. I do live in Los Angeles, and the area where the new sod is does get a lot of sun exposure, especially now that summer has come. That being said, I am afraid of over-watering, as that can be pretty detrimental as well. We put the sod down on Saturday. I was going to run the sprinklers (360 degree non rotating heads) for 15 minutes per day at 5am. I figured that 5am is still early enough (the sun is still asleep) for the soil to get soaked thoroughly and for the roots to get enough water before the sun comes out. As I noted, some websites suggested to do another watering around 11am, and a final watering around 2pm. Would 15 minutes per day for the first 2-3 weeks, around 5am, be enough to establish a root system?

Comment (1)