SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrbigelow

New sod browning -- too much water?

10 years ago

Hello!

I am new to this forum and had a question about my new sod. I'm not too sure what type of sod this is, but you might be able to get a better idea due to the close photo I've provided of the blades.

This sod has been installed for just about three weeks now and was placed over clay. The clay was given a final grading before placing the sod. The sod was not rolled (in case someone is curious).

Per the landscaper's instructions, I have been watering the sod for 45 minutes, twice a day, for the past two weeks -- morning (3am) and evening (4pm/5pm). I have been watering with an in-ground irrigation system -- 45 minutes per zone.

This section of grass (the back yard) is on the east side of my house, so it receives full sun until noon and then it starts to taper off as it receives shade from my house. The back yard is 6000 square feet.

A little over two weeks after the sod installation, I started to notice these blades of grass going brown/yellow and becoming spotty. The sod has never once dried out completely and seems as though its taking a while to take root. It IS starting to take root in places, but seems as though its taking a while. It has been very mushy and we haven't walked on it, as it leaves large sinking foot prints.

One more thing to note is that the sod was finished on two separate days. The sections of sod that were placed on the first day (the majority) is the batch that's turning brown. The sod that was placed on the second day is much more lush and full and doesn't seem to be turning. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but figured this was worth mentioning. Bad batch?

Anyways, personally, without much knowledge of these things, I have the assumption that I am over-watering. I feel like 45 minutes twice a day, especially with the efficiency of an irrigation system, its just receiving too much water. BUT, after sending these pictures and concerns to the landscaper, he said "that doesn't look too bad, just keep watering it 45 minutes twice a day."

Opinions?!

Comments (6)