SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zioviche

HELP! Weed or grass seed heads? Bag or Mulch?

15 years ago

So I go out up on the hill and there is literally a field of grass seed heads that have sprouted over the past week. I'm wondering if I should recylce them into the lawn or bag them. Any idea if Tall Turf Type Fescue (majority of my lawn I think) would go to seed this early? I need to decide by tomorrow when I mow!

Far back left of photo is a wild easment I'm not allowed to control.

{{gwi:95708}}

Basically I want to know if you think I should make use of this abundant and free natural resource, or not take a chance that I will be helping some wild grass populate into my lawn. My thinking is that I should bag it. Even if it is good seed, good grass seed needs to babied, which I don't place to do up in this sunny spot. Weed seed/ wild grass seems to thrive without attention.

{{gwi:95709}}

Details:

Seed stalks are about 5" long:

{{gwi:95710}}

This is a VERY sunny spot. Gets minimum 9 hours of full sun a day. In the summer it is scorched so the grass up here might think it's June. Notice grass seed is only growing in sunny area. Also notice that seeds heads are not in neighbors yard. 1: he mow shorter. 2: he uses more weed killer: (ignore sloppy mulch beds...haven't had time to mulch yet:)

{{gwi:95711}}

There is a wild easement at the end of my property where all types of wacky things grow, but these grass seed heads are so dense that I doubt anything could have populated the area so fully and quickly.

I am dealing with a poa variety down the hill from this spot in some low lying, wet, shady areas, but I have not seen the typical light green, tall grass in the area, so I don't think its that.

Comments (3)