SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

I fought the poa and...

rcnaylor
17 years ago

... the poa won.

Dang man, that stuff is relentless. I figured out what I had about this time of year 2 years ago. I started bagging the grass clippings when I mowed during its seeding stages. I had always mowed high and watered deeply and infrequently.

The first fall, I put down pre-m, even though I'd never done that before to battle the poa. Then last year, I put down pre-m spring and fall. To try to maximize the battle I did not fertilize in the spring and basically let my yard go almost dormant in the heat of late July and early August last year to try to "drought it out". I put down a heavier dose of pre-m than the bag called for even this spring.

So - I had high hopes I would see big improvement in the amount of poa when its spring flush of seed showed its whereabouts this year, but,... sigh, very little if any improvement.

FWIW, I had read it would probably be an ongoing battle. You don't win it, you just try to get ahead of it. So, this year, I think I am going to change my poa strategy. I'm going to worry less about it. I'm going to do the same things I always do, fertilize once in the spring, mow high, water deeply, infrequently, but enough to keep my blue grass happy, put out pre-m fall and spring and hope for the best.

Sometimes you just have to admit you can't beat the law, uh, poa.

Comments (10)