SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m1shmosh

Death to Poa - ethofumesate (again)

m1shmosh
16 years ago

{{gwi:91747}}

Ethofumesate

Preemergence and early postemergence herbicide agaist the dreaded poa annua (and some others). Bayer's Prograss is the poster child and commonly cited in research and literature. It is very expensive at some $450+ for a 2.5 gal bottle. However, other ethofumesate concentrates are available. UPI makes Poa Constrictor (gotta love the name!) and Bayer also has another sister product to Prograss called Nortron SC. There is supposedly a generic version made by AgValue, but I could not find a source for it.

Norton SC is primarily labeled for sugarbeets. However, if you look at the label (see link below), buried in the text is labeling for grass seed crops, namely ryegrass, tall fescue, bentgrass and KBG. Looking at the MSDS, it is apparent the formulation is more closely related to UPI's Poa Constrictor than it is to Prograss. A 2.5 gal bottle of Poa Constrictor or Nortron has 4lb of etho--that is in contrast to 1.5lb in Prograss. That means application rate is more than halfed--9/16 oz/1000 sq.ft. for KBG!!! When you factor in that 2.5 gal of Nortron is half the cost of 2.5 gal of Prograss, the cost savings is 4x!!! An additional benefit of Nortron or Poa Constrictor is that their products are non-flammable. Prograss is highly flammable (inert ingredients: petroleum distillates) and will need special shipping arrangements accordingly.

Some ethofumesate info is below:

PREEMERGENCE

Annual Grasses

Barnyardgrass (Echinochloa crus-galli)

Bluegrass, annual (Poa annua)

Canarygrass (Phalaris canariensis)

Crabgrass, large (Digitaria sanguinalis)

Crabgrass, smooth (Digitaria ischaemum)

Foxtail, green (Setaria viridis)

Foxtail, yellow (Setaria glauca)

Annual Broadleaves

Burclover (Medicago sp.)

Chickweed, common (Stellaria media)

Purslane, common (Portulaca oleracea)

Pigweed, redroot (Amaranthus retroflexus)

-will also reduce competition from:

Nutsedge, purple (Cyperus rotundus)

Nutsedge, yellow (Cyperus esculentus)

POSTEMERGENCE

Annual Grasses

Bluegrass, annual (Poa annua)

Annual Broadleaves

Chickweed, common (Stellaria media)

Clover, white (Trifolium repens)

PREEMERGENCE/EARLY POSTEMERGENCE

Annual Grasses

Crabgrass, large (Digitaria sanguinalis)

Crabgrass, smooth (Digitaria ischaemum

* do NOT apply to zoysia, hard/fine fescues *

-apply at the earliest possible weed growth stage--no later than the 4-leaf stage

-Spring and Fall - apply during maximum weed germination

-Fall - end as close to the first killing freeze as possible

-KBG is most sensitive so application rates are lowered. Fall applications may see reduced turf quality the following spring. Nortron recommends application on kbg at least 12 months old. Poa Constrictor recommends at least 8 weeks after emergence.

-KBG cultivars known to be tolerant: Adelphi, American, Aspen, Asset,Challenger, Classic, Emundi, Huntsville, Georgetown, Glade, Haga,Julic, Liberty, Merit, Midnight, Monopoly, Mystic, Parade, Rugby,Sydsport, Touchdown. Also: Moonlight (according to this paper)

-KBG *DO NOT APPLY* to: Explorer,Limousine, Northstar, RAN I and Total Eclipse

-PR cultivars tolerant: Acclaim, Blazer, Dasker, Derby, Elka,Fiesta, Goalie, Hunter, Linn, Loretta, Manhattan II, Palmer, Pennfine,Regal, Yorktown

-TTTF tolerant: America, Arid, Mustang

-Other cultivars not listed should be spot tested for phytotoxicity.

-reported results are mixed. Some say when used alone, ethofumesate is of little benefit. Other claim nearly complete control after 2 years.

-Legality: Nortron is labeled for commercial sod farms in Ca, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington only. For sugar beets, garden beets, onions, garlic, shallots--all states. Poa Constrictor and Prograss are labelled for sod farms in all states but Arizona. That said, my sugar beet garden has a ton of poa I need to get control.

PRODUCT LINKS

Nortron SC (Bayer)

Prograss (Bayer)

Poa Constrictor (UPI)

This is where I got my Nortron SC from.

Morris Grain Company

This late in spring may be too late for application as most poa is mature but I am getting ready for war this fall. This fall, I personally will be using Dimension pre-emergence (August 1, October 1) and using ethofumesate for selective spot spraying only (because of desirable turf susceptibility to some extent). I will probably do some test treatments though. DEATH TO POA!

Comments (11)