SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhazzardb_gw

Seeding Fescue while combatting Poa Annua

JHazzardB
12 years ago

As most of you are aware, I'm suffering from Poa Annua. Allow me to ramble and spit out my logic. Please correct/interrupt/give any advice.

I'm trying to overseed with fescue in spring and fall to help thinned out summer spots. Fescue like to be planted when soil temperatures are dropping into the 65-60's.

Poa Annua starts it's unforgivable emergence when soil temperatures start dropping past 70 degrees. This overlaps with the prime time to plant fescue in the fall. I also don't fully understand the emergence of Poa Annua in the spring time. I suspect the colder winter temps don't provide an optimal temperature for it, but the spring warmth brings the soil back to 60-70 degrees for the Poa therefore letting it germinate.

In an article I read: http://www.golfdom.com/business/turfgrass-management/spring-and-poa-annua-is-air , it explains how Poa does NOT need light to germinate and will still grow under the canopy of other grasses. Is that true? I'm growing my TTTF out up to 5 inches to help compete.

My question is, is there a way to keep planting fescue, while using a pre-emergent against Poa Annua? I bet it would be a VERY small window of time. Are there pre-emergents that only prevent Poa from germination and will allow grass seed to go? I would assume the best shot I would have, based on my fescue coming up now, would be as follow-

1. Apply fall Poa Annua pre-emergent control. This would hinder fall Poa germination.

2. Apply early spring Poa Annua pre-emergent control at around 55 degrees in the soil.

3. When soil temps rise past 65, seed fescue.

4. Pray the fescue gets deep enough roots for the Oklahoma heat.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)