SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcoenen

Planning for new Orchard - Cover Crops?

jcoenen
10 years ago

I recently purchased 15 acres of land and plan to build a house on it and use the rest of the land to grow fruit trees/bushes. Right now it is covered in soy beans which will be harvested by the farmer renting the land and I will be left with a blank slate of bare soil. The soil is a mix of silt loam that is very good farmland and the other half is loamy fine sand which is not as good though at least from the crops grown on it this year I do not see a noticeable difference. The land had been pasture for a number of years up until recently so there is a chance the soil has actually been improved over the county soil description. I plan to get some soil tests as soon as we close on the property to see where things stand.

My question is I plan to plant a cover crop in the spring to prevent soil eroison and possibly control any native weeds I may not want to establish themselves on the property. I am a new when it comes to raising fruit trees/bushes/farming so with building a house next spring and doing my homework and planning my orchard I am doubtful I will be planting too many trees/bushes (Apples,Pears,Peaches,Cherries,Blueberries,etc) next year and either way I will be starting small. Which means a majority of my land will not be planted for a number of years.

I am looking for advice on what best to plant on the land that will improve the soil and be beneificial to have around while I establish my orchard or at a minimum not impossible to get rid of if needed. I would like to have some kind of perennial cover crop as like I said it will take a while for me to get going so I am looking at this as a multi-year project, but want to make sure I don't plant something that will be a pain to deal with in the future once my orchard is established. I plan on buying a tractor and would be able to mow whatever cover I have. I am guessing a variety or mixture of crops would be best. I am on the border of Zone 4/5. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments (3)