SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecityman

Looking for a basic mixed orchard spray plan

I�m new to fruit tree management and am desperately trying to learn enough to produce some decent fruit on some of my (approx.) 7 different fruits in approx. 30 different trees. I�ve spent countless hours reading suggestions/instructions about spraying. I�ve read articles, chapters in books, endless web sites and discussion threads, my state�s extension office, and more. I have, therefore, learned that there is practically no limit to the depth and complexity and variety of sprays and spraying schedules. Worse yet, it appears that a person can, and probably should, use different products, frequencies, and patterns for each different fruit. I also have learned that there is almost no limit to the factors that can change the recommended sprayings (ie location, weather, type insect, type disease, fungus, etc). In short, I just feel hopeless and I suspect many other casual fruit growers, especially newer ones, feel the same way. Therefore, what I am looking for is just some FAIRLY generalized instructions on what, when, and how I should spray my orchard that might meet some minimal needs enough to help me get at least some fruit of some quality. There must be a lot of us who aren�t the experts that most of you are, and who don�t have the knowledge, or the money, or the time to develop the complex spraying plans that you experts do and which, I admit, would be knowledgeable. One thing that gives me hope is that I do see some "one and done" type sprays on the market that claim to be for all fruit trees and to only need spraying every few weeks. I suspect that is exaggerated, but to what degree? Is that just a complete fraud? Or can I use one of those products to take care of a lot (not all, I am sure) of my spray needs? If so, what kind of a "one and done" would be best? If there are some other absolutely critical spray needs in addition to a one and done, what would those be? I suspect I may get some criticism I�m just trying to find a lazy way out when there really is none, and I will accept that to some degree. But I still think I and countless other amateurs who just can�t/won�t or don�t have the knowledge needed to buy multiple sprays for each fruit and apply them every few days, would benefit enormously from some kind of simplified, stripped down, generalized instructions (product, schedule, etc) on spraying for the most common needs of most fruit trees. If I�m just dreaming that such a thing exists, and one and done products are useless, tell me that. If not, any "dumbed down" advice/information would be apreciated

Comments (5)